Stockholm Hotel Advice

Search

Stockholm Hotel Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stockholm Hotel Advice

Hello: I will be in Sweden on business in August, and am adding 2 nights to the trip to visit Stockholm on my own. I am trying to decide on hotels soon, because it seems many are already booked for my dates. Since I will be alone, I'd like to be in a nice area preferably in the midst of the sights & where there are restaurants/pubs. I am considering Gamla Stan, Norrmalm, or Sodermalm areas...and while it seems there are many options, I would love some advice on which might best suit my needs! I've checked tripadvisor.com, and my top choice from there (Hotel Rival) is booked entirely but for the expensive rates ($333 USD/night). I'd like to stay under $200 USD/night, but of course want a clean & comfortable room (need not be large), preferably in a hotel with a restaurant/bar and decent sauna/fitness room, in a good location.

Your advice is most appreciated!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:43 AM

You can check this thread for some suggestions:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34613660

As I mentioned there, I stayed at Bentleys.

However, I was looking at no-frills hotels -- Stockholm hotels are expensive. But you want a restaurant/bar and a decent sauna/fitness room.

I think that the Nordic Light/Sea hotels will fit the bill, but I'm not sure how much they are. I've not stayed there, but based on what I've read, I think that these will fit your requirements.

You may get lucky because if memory serves, August is low season in Stockholm. I wouldn't have been able to book these in May for under $200.

Also, weekend rates are lower.

Good luck.

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:48 AM

My wife and found the Hotel Gamla Stan to be just what we wanted -- immaculate, great location, reasonable rates, good breakfast. Very helpful front desk.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Cassandra

Another vote for Gamla Stan -- good location, nice staff, reasonably nice rooms. Think it's what you're looking for (although it's small and I'd doubt it has a sauna/fitness room and any bar would be in a neighboring building).

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi all: Thanks for your replies. A few questions - - -

1 - where are these hotels? Hotel Gamla Stan is obviously in Gamla Stan, but what are the locations of Bentleys and the Nordic Sea/Light hotels? Are those all in Normalm? I'm still getting my bearings about the city.
2 - Is Hotel Gamla Stan one and the same as the Rica Hotel Gamla Stan? Just wanted to be sure, as that is the only hotel that comes up when searching for Hotel Gamla Stan online. I'm getting a good rate there ($135 USD/nt vs. >$200 USD/nt for the Nordic hotels) so it's definitely in the running...
3 - Just out of curiousity, why is August low season for Stockholm? That doesn't seem intuitive...

I'm sure I can deal without a sauna/fitness room, and certainly could venture out to a pub...and on that note, a last question...while I would like to go out in the evening there, since I'm traveling solo I may be a bit timid. Any recommendations for pubs?

Thanks!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

...also curious if anyone can speak to experiences with the Berns Hotel? I have e-mailed them for availability, but Octopustravel.com has rates of around $200USD/nt for my dates.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 07:35 PM

August is low season for major cities in most of Europe because there aren't any businesspersons going around on business, as they are all on holiday.

Try Scandic and Accor hotels.
Also take a look at
http://www.destination-stockholm.se
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 04:38 AM

Yes, Bentleys and the Nordic Light/Sea hotels are all in Normmalm.

The Nordic Light/Sea hotels have a better location -- right next to the train terminal for the Arlanda Express.

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Hello: Just wanted to check back in to let you know I was booked...I considered your suggestions but ultimately did book the Berns Hotel b/c upon e-mailing them I was quoted an excellent 'special' rate of 1250 SEK/nt. From what I gather on tripadvisor.com my room may be small, but well-equipped & with a nice bathroom in what sounds like a grand old hotel with a modern flavor, with everything I was seeking. I'll let you know what I find when I get back!
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Just realized I hadn't updated this thread...just in case others are curious about the Berns. I was generally very happy with the hotel - it truly had exactly what I was looking for and was excellently located. Grand old ballrooms & stairways with beautiful & well-apointed rooms (though mine was small as expected). Fabulous disco/bars on the first floor - clearly very hip. Nice to go out there, but be warned, if you're staying here for a good night's sleep and no time at the disco, you may be a bit bothered. The disco grooves until 3 am or so and even on the 4th floor (where I was) you can hear the bass. I managed b/c my attitude was 'if I can't beat 'em, join 'em' - and I had a great time, even going out solo (met a too-nice french man though who insisted we should go back to his apartment in the city, No thanks!) - but if you're in for quiet nights, especially on the weekend, avoid this hotel!