Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you know anything about these hotels in Stockholm?

Old May 4th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comments on location, etc.? 1-2 in Normmalm. Would anyone recommend staying in Sodermalm? I can't decide what it's better. It seems like there could be more nightlife that interests me in Normmalm.

1. August Strindberg
http://www.hotellstrindberg.se/
I don't see any reviews on TripAdvisor.

2. Pensionat Oden City
http://www.pensionat.nu/cityen.htm

It looks like I need to share bathroom facilities (haven't called them).

3. Maladrottningen

A little cheaper than #1 and a standard rec, but I'm concerned about potential seasickness -- it's a converted cruise ship. Can someone comment on this?

4. Lord Nelson (this is on Gamla Stan)

I think that this is a safe choice. I can book it at http://www.stockholmtown.com for 1559 SEK per night. And I've seen nice recommendations. But at 7.1 SEK to 1 USD, this is nearly 220 a night, more than what I'm accustomed to paying.

I didn't realize that a lot of these hotels have (sizeable) weekend discounts -- really a mistake on my part, I think, not to have planned my visit a little better. I'll be there 5/25 to 5/27.

Thanks.
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

I've booked Malardrottningen for now through Utell (1090 SEK per night), but it's cancelable and I'll continue my research in the meantime.

I'll update my other thread on Scandinavian hotels.

Please comment on locations, alternative choices, alternative areas, alternative websites, etc.

Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Hotel prices in Stockholm are of course very expensive. About 1 1/2 years ago I stayed at the "Best Western Wallin Hotel". Don't be put off by the fact that it is a Best Western. It is locally owned and just a BW franchisee. It is as cheap as good hotels get in Stockholm, located about 5-10 minutes walk from the main train station and has a spectacular breakfast buffet included in the price. Check the BW website for more information. I will stay here again soon.

http://www.bestwestern.com/

Have fun. Stockholm is a great city.

Larry J
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Larry.

I'll look into it.

In the meantime, while going through my TimeOut guide, I've come across 2-3 other names I want to look it.

I've a feeling that I'll end up in Norrmalm (probably will cancel Malardrottningen).

Anyway, it'd make sense to visit later in the summer when hotels are cheaper. But I guess the savings would be offset by the increases in airfare.
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

It looks like the Best Western Wallin is booked. But in the meantime, I found this list of addreses, e-mails and website addresses:

http://www.stockholmtown.com/templat...10712__FR.aspx

It might be useful for people who're doing their research in the future.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Update -- I've booked Hotel Bentleys in Stockholm:

http://www.bentleys.se/

No reviews on tripadvisor, but I'm not too concerned. It's listed in Time Out/Stockholm.

The hotel is near the Central Station T and near department stores like NK. I think that the location should be great (unless someone here tells me otherwise). And it'll be more convenient for me when I go out at night.

Rate is 999 SEK for a double, cheaper than what I was expecting, and I'm pleased.

I was a little suspicious when they quoted this rate (for comparison: Gustav Vasa 1360 SEK for a weeknight, Queen's -- near Bentleys at 850 SEK for shared bath). It's been virtually impossible for me to find anything under 1000 SEK for May weeknights (with private bath).

So I called them and they've just confirmed the rate via an e-mail.

I checked stockholmtown.com and the website quotes a higher rate for this hotel.

Moral: It's always good to crosscheck a rate on a website against a hotel's rate. I don't always do this unless the price seems high to me, but in this case, contacting the hotel directly gave me a cheaper rate.
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:40 PM
KT

If you're at all interested in the Gustav Vasa, I booked a single there with a private shower & WC in the hall (not shared, but not ensuite either) for 595 SEK. A single with shower in the room and private WC in the hall was 695 SEK. I booked by phone -- I think the website only had the 695 rate. I assume the room is the size of a closet, but I don't care.
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Is this a weekend? And for what time period?

I'm really kicking myself for not arranging my trip better -- so that I can take advantage of the weekend and the summer specials.

In the e-mail they wrote me, they're offering 895 SEK on Fri-Sa and 1360 SEK for the rest (for a double).

For what it's worth, Vasa has a nod from Time Out/Stockholm. If I remember right, the tripadvisor reviews aren't bad. And it's near a T stop. I think that you'll like it.

I probably would have preferred it, but I think that my mom will benefit from staying further south, closer to Central Station and the department store NK. And I think that because we're there on weeknights, 999 SEK for Bentleys is probably as good as I can do (for anything without a shared bath).

I'm willing to be proved wrong though!
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:21 PM
KT

My reservation is for weeknights in early June. You might want to e-mail and ask specifically about a budget room like this.

I'd also found that the Alexandria Hotel in Sodermalm has some rooms w/en suite bathrooms but without windows for about the same price. Sounds grim in a way, but if it's just for sleeping and you're trying to save money, it's no different than an inside cabin on a ship. http://www.alexandrahotel.se/

Thanks for the encouragement about the Gustav Vasa. I must admit, I combed the guidebooks and websites thinking that there must be something, somewhere in Stockholm that I could afford. You must know what that search was like! Fortunately, I'm also staying with some old friends for part of my visit, but there's a limit to how much one can impose on even one's nicest friends....
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:23 PM
KT

Forgot to say: you may know this but the Pensionat Oden has three locations and I think at least one of them has rooms with private or en suite bath. Don't know the price offhand, though.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, KT. I clearly see how expensive Stockholm is (was a bit shocked, actually, by the prices). I'm surprised a week makes so much difference (I'm there at the end of May) -- I thought the cheaper rates don't start until mid June.

If it's any consolation, there was an article in the Times on budget travel in Stockholm and the woman wrote that a dorm room could cost $90....

But then she and her boyfriend stayed in Birger Jarl and Nordic Light for about $150+. (This was in 2004, but over a weekend, where I think there're lower rates.)
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:51 AM

my boyfriend and i are travelling to Stockholm on the 25-29th and i have been researching hotels for over 2 months. everything for us (need our own bath) is about 200USD. we booked the Queen's for 2 nights and the columbus for 1 because it is so busy in Stockholm that weekend that we cannot even find one place to stay for 3 nights in a row. Where did you decide to stay finally? Where are you from? Sodermalm is the hot area, but i think the whole city is close and walkable.
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

I decided on Bentleys, as mentioned earlier, for a rate of 999 SEK a night:

http://www.bentleys.se/

(999 SEK/7.1 = 141 US)

It looks like we overlap, actually -- I'll be there from 5/25-27.

Are you sure you can't get a cheaper weekend rate? I noticed a lot of places have weekend specials.

By the way Queens and Bentleys are almost neighbors (from what I can tell from the addresses -- both on Drottninggatan). But Queens was only able to offer me something with a shared bath, and I was happy with Bentleys price.

I think that the location will be very good and convenient.

Sodermalm does look interesting, but I decided that Norrmalm is probably a more established area for me and my mom. If I were traveling alone, I probably would have stayed somewhere cheaper in Sodermalm.

And since the hotel is near the Centralen T I think getting anywhere will be easy.

Old May 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

By the way, vicki, I live in NYC, to answer your other question.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

For posterity -- Bentleys is actually a few blocks north of Queens (77 vs. 71A -- which sounds close, but 71x takes up a whole block...). If you're dragging luggage, you feel it, but Bentleys is still central. A pretty basic hotel, but still convenient to the main attractions.

Bentleys has free net access. There's a night clerk, but the front doors are locked (code entry) at night.

The Nordic Light/Sea hotels are right next to the train terminals for Arlanda Express. I've seen summer specials but I wasn't able to make use of them for these hotels (I'm sure they're nicer).
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:09 PM

Any suggestions for a not-too-expensive hotel near the airport?
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

That I don't know -- but do you really want to stay at the airport? The Arlanda Express runs every 15-20 minutes and takes you there in 20 minutes.

Granted, it's expensive: 360 SEK round-trip (?).