Halfday in Barcelona

Search

Halfday in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halfday in Barcelona

We arrive in Barcelona about 8AM and have a cruise leaving at 5PM. What can we do with our time and luggage in the time we have.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 12:16 PM

Not much if you have luggage to drag along.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's the problem! I was just wondering if there is a tour bus that cough lock the bus or something. Locked storage at the docks or maybe after we board the ship at 11 or 12PM.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 05:16 PM

If the cruise leaves at 5 pm what time do you have to be aboard? I would think they are the best option for storing luggage - have you checked details with them?
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 05:20 PM

I would do a self guided walk of the Gaudi/modernist buildings (viewing from the outside only) and visit La Boqueria and eat there. Lonely Planet Barcelona has a suggested walking route.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 07:23 PM

You will probably be able to check your luggage in at the port midmorning. If you do that, you could follow RM67's suggestions easily. If you end up eating at La Boqueria (a great suggestion, BTW), you could easily take a taxi back to the port. It'd be a short ride, and taxis are inexpensive in Barcelona.

Bon voyage
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 12:32 AM

Good suggestions. See La Sagrada Familia (pre-book tickets to avoid long waits, and go for the English speaking guided tour, same price as the audio-guide, and ten times more rewarding). The tour is about an hour, and you could easily spend a couple of hours here to take it all in. http://www.sagradafamilia.org/en/tickets/

Lunch in one of the tapas bars in fabulous food market Boqueria is a fine idea, but you could be up for long waits and hordes of people out in the same business. I would rather recommend to just stroll around in one of the finest food markets in the world before going for lunch in Barcelona classic 7 Portes from 1836, an institution in town (reservation is a must). http://www.7portes.com/angles/index.php
A major Barcelona event when 7 Portes celebrated its 175th anniversary in 2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujDIsGzDO38

La Sagrada familia, Boqueria and 7 Portes would be no stress, and it will most probably leave you with a strong taste of Barcelona and a wish to come back to really explore. A five min taxi ride from 7 Portes to the cruise port.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 04:24 AM

No tour bus is going to store your luggage for you, they are for people only (and they don't lock up, at least the several hopon/off companies).

You only have the morning anyway, I agree I'd probably just stay between the port and placa Catalunya around the Ramblas. There is a Gaudi building right off that, anyway, that is easy to see (Palau Guell). If you can manage Sagrada Familia, it is special, not sure how feasible that is for someone who doesn't know the city at all and is only there a few hours. But it does open at 9 am.

I'm not even sure about any big lunch if you have to be onboard by 11 am-noon, that isn't lunchtime. I don't think 7 Portes restaurant is even open before 1 pm.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 05:24 AM

There are several places with luggage lockers around Barcelona including a locker place near Placa catalunya, which might be easier than going to the port first, though obviously you would have to pay for the lockers.

Here's a site with suggestions
http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...barcelona.html
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 05:29 AM

<if you have to be onboard by 11 am-noon, that isn't lunchtime. I don't think 7 Portes restaurant is even open before 1 pm.>

7 Portes opens at 1pm, and it should be plenty of time for lunch if the ship doesn't leave until 5pm.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm hoping we can store the luggage on the ship, if so we have options.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 03:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not check with the cruise line and ask if you could leave your luggage at the ship after you leave the airport? You'll probably be there around 9:30am or so by taxi and could check your luggage in if it's possible. The route in along the coast road passes the cruise port. Otherwise china cat's suggestion is a good one.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 05:10 AM

If you can't check your luggage at the ship early enough, I'd take the airport express bus to placa Catalunya and walk the 3 minutes to Locker Barcelona for storage of luggage. We did this a few months ago and had no problems. There were two staff members speaking perfect English the day we were there. You can even reserve ahead on line if you wish.

Two suggestions for what to do:
1. a free walking tour which leave from Placa Angel (I believe). The walk from the lockers would be 15 minutes or so. Grab lunch after the walking tour at anyplace that looks good and get a taxi to the ship

2. taxi to La Sagrada Familia, then lunch, etc.

Have fun!