Search

Staying in a convent in Trastevere

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying in a convent in Trastevere

Hello,

I have made arrangements to stay in the Casa di Santa Francesca Romana convent in Trastevere.

If anyone has stayed here before and has comments, the are appreciated.

Even more important, I am not familiar with Rome and would like to know how accessible am I to get to the major Rome attractions and what can I find in terms of restuarants in Trastevere.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:53 AM

You will love Trastevere. It's great. Rome is small - things are very walkable. There is a pedestrian bridge over the river from Trastevere to the Campo de Fiori area. Perhaps a cab to the Vatican will be in order, but that's it. (Assuming you are a fairly good walker.)

Here is from my trip report about restaurants:

"Our favorite restaurants were Pierluigi (Piazza de Ricci - very close, need reservations), Al Fontanone (46 Piazza Trilussa) and Da Gildo (31 Via della Scala) (both in Trastevere). We also ate at Insalata Ricci (85 L. go dei Chiavani - very close, good, cheap), La Carbonara (in Campo de Fiori - nice atmosphere and very close by, quite good food, lots of tourists), Hostario Giulio (19 via della Barchetta - decent). Maura recommended a restaurant called Al Ciack at 21 Vicolo dei Cinque (also in Trastevere) which looked great but my youngest son panicked when he looked at the menu. We would have loved to have eaten there. The other restaurant we missed that has RAVE reviews everywhere is Al Bric, which is between the apt and Campo de Fiori on the right hand side of the street. For some reason, we never made it there either.

Our biggest restaurant crises would always occur at lunch, when we'd invariably be in some really touristy location and suddenly the kids were STARVING. So some of those lunches I'd just as soon forget.

We bought cheese, wine and bread every day from a shop on one of the corners of Campo de Fiori. Also bought fruit there in the morning. We liked the baked goods at Il Fornaio, 5/7 Via dei Baullari. Gelato was good everywhere and we spent about 10€ per day on that."

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34645892

Get a decent map of Rome (I loved the Rough Guide Map of Rome - it is waterproof and rip proof while still soft and everythign was on it. It was so hot and sweaty when we were there the waterproof feature was good.) Here it is on Amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/csmx5

Maybe by getting this to the top someone else will respond too.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you wliwl for your insight. I have printed this page and it will now become a part of my list of references.

Our family is crazy for authentic italian pizza. Any that you encountered.

Again Thank you.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 01:07 PM

Never knew that Rome is Small.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 03:44 PM

elmo218,

We stayed in a convent directly on Campo Fiori, just across the river from Trastavere. Casa di Santa Brigida is the name of the convent. You will be a bit closer to the sites if you stay on the side of the river across from Trastavere. You can easily walk to Trastavere for dinner, etc anytime you want, but will have about a 10 minutes shorter walk to the other sites...

You will love Rome. It is "small" and quite walkable. We spent 5 nights there in September 2004 and would love to return in 2006.

dwz
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 03:58 PM

The Casa di Santa Brigida is much more expensive, though.

With your Trastevere location, you are about one mile from the Pantheon, and it would be a very interesting walk. I'd recommend getting a good map for starters.

Rome does have buses and trams that can help you get around also. You can start by looking here:
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome_transportation/