Help me pick one more restaurant - Rome

Apr 8th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Help me pick one more restaurant - Rome

3 women headed to Italy in a month - we're spending 3 nights in Rome. We're staying at Albergo del Senato (senior suite!) by the Pantheon. The first night we're eating pizza at Da Baffetto since we'll be jetlagged and it's easy (& delicious). The second night we're eating at Armando al Pantheon. I've eaten there before and it's one of my favs. It's the third night that throws me. I've eaten at Antonio al Pantheon before - not interested in returning as well as La Cisterna, also not interested in returning. So...a place within easy walking distance of the Pantheon for women who love good food but not interested in many courses (small appetites) is what I'm searching for - any recommendations?
Apr 8th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Hi

Have you ever been to Osteria del Pegno? It's one of my favorite restaurants in Rome. It's near Piazza Navona, so not a far walk for you.

Here's a link to directions:
http://www.servermitech.com/osteriad.../contatti.html

Johanna
Apr 8th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Vecchia Roma is our favorite in Rome. We always go a few times on each trip. The outdoor terrace is lovely if the weather permits.

http://www.ristorantevecchiaroma.com/
Apr 8th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Restaurant Fortunata is just steps from the Pantheon. With your back to the Pantheon, cross the square and the Fortunata is on your right a few doors up the street. It is an old world Roman restaurant and very popular - you will most likely need a reservation.

Near Piazza Navona, we very much enjoyed Enoteca Cul De Sac - located in Piazza Pasquino 73, just around the corner from Piazza Navona. It has excellent cooking in a simple enoteca atmosphere. It is a great choice for lunch, but get there soon after it opens because it fills up quickly.
Apr 8th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Don't forget La Sagrestia -- perhaps my favourite in that area, just down a little street from the Pantheon. Via del Seminario 89.

Cul de Sac is also wonderful, and you can sit outside year-round.
Apr 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

It sounds like I have several great choices thanks to all of you, within easy walking distance.
Apr 8th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Allow me to put in a word for Il Bacaro. We spent a week in Rome a couple of years ago, staying near the Campo di Fiori and eating mainly at restaurants located nearby, and Il Bacaro was the best of the bunch. Al Bric, Ditirambo, and Osteria da Galleto (on Piazza Farnese) were pretty darn good as well but perhaps not *quite* as good as Il Bacaro.

All of these should be easy walks from the Pantheon, despite how the map might look. I was amazed how walkable Rome was. It seemed like we'd barely left the apartment on the Piazza Farnese before we were at the Piazza Navona or the Pantheon. You picked a great area to stay in!
Apr 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Our favorite is Pierluigi. Excellent seafood and pasta. It's in Piazza Ricci, not far from Campo di Fiori.

Your trip sounds wonderful! Have fun!

We want to try Armando del Pantheon this trip. Everyone raves about it. Can you reserve by email?
Apr 8th, 2009, 06:00 PM

I'm hardly an expert on Rome, but I really enjoyed Enoteca Cul de Sac. As I recall, it's a small, neighborhood wine bar, with an amazing wine list (by the bottle or glass), serving small plates. Sounds perfect for your needs, and, if the weather is nice, you can sit outside and people watch!