Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you comment on any of these Rome restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've eaten at any of these places I'd love to hear what you thought. Near as I can tell they are all more-or-less in the Campo di Fiori area. Thanks!

Al Grappolo d'Oro (via Palestro 4/10)

Al Vantaggio (via del vantaggio 35)

Antica Trattoria Polese (Piazza Sforza Cesarini 40)

Armando al Pantheon (via Salita De'Crescenzi 31)

Dal Pollarolo (via Ripetta 4/5)

Er Faciolaro (via dei Pastini 123/124)

Giggetto al Portico d'Ottavia (via del Portico d'Ottavia 21)

Grotte del Teatro di Pompeo (via del Biscione 73)

Il Barroccio (via dei Pastini 13)

La Sagrestia (via del Seminario 89)

Perilli al Testaccio (via Mormorata 39)

Settimio (via Giunio Bazzoni 13)

Sora Lella (via Ponte Quattri Capi 16)

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Via Palestro, via Marmorata and via Giunio Bazzoni are nowhere near Campo de Fiori.

There is another Grappolo d'Oro (I have no idea whether it is under the same management) near the Cancelleria on Via dei Baullari, I think, which would be fairly close to Campo de Fiori. I ate there once and was not very impressed, although it is supposed to be one of the old time trattorie of Rome.

There are several Settimio (all run by the same family, according to what I could gather), of which one is in the general area of Campo de Fiori, but I've lent my guidebook to Rome to someone and unfortunately cannot give you the name or address.

Perilli on via Marmorata is a very plain establishment, where I had an excellent spaghetti alla carbonara (far better than the one I ate at La Carbonara), but as I've mentioned, it's nowhere near Campo de Fiori.

Some of the streets you name are much closer to the Pantheon than to Campo de Fiori, but as far as I am concerned, anything in the whole Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo de Fiori area definitely qualifies as "more-or-less in the area."

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Grappolo d'Oro--this is near termini. I've been to the other one near Campo di Fiori but can't tell about this one.
Armando--it's pretty good but expensive.
Pollarolo--very good
Giggetto. In the ghetto. Very good
Perilli--in Testaccio and one of my favorite places in Rome
Settimio. It's ok
Sora Lella. OK but touristy

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:43 AM

OMG I need to stop reading these Rome restaurant threads! I'll only have 9 nights. Decisions, Decisions!!!...
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! It looks like Grotte Teatro di Pompeo and La Sagrestia are closest to where we are staying. I know hwat happens to us - we'll get back to our apartment late afternoon (exhausted), drink wine, and not want to go far for dinner. So, at least for a couple of days, I'm trying to line up restaurants that are close by. We are staying on via Pellegrino.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:38 AM
rex

I thought I recognized the name "Faciolaro" (not sure if I ever ate there or not), so I did a search on thos forum. Thre are two previous mentions. You will do the appropriate due diligence and search each of the others, no?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

rex,
Yes, of course. Many of the "reviews" are old however, and I was hoping to find some current experiences. Sorry to trouble you. Thank you.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:37 PM

I agree that many of the threads appear to be relatively dated, and in this vein I would appreciate some info., comments or recommendations on the following, as I have 2 nights to plan for:

Ditirambo;
Antico Taverna;
La Tartaruga;and
Myosotis.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:04 PM
rex

Evidently my reply sounded argumentative or miffed - - I was neither. And I couldn't agree with you more on the value of current info. I must have said it here dozens of times: all travel info is inherently perishable.

One can only hope, when soliciting this kind of info, that respondents will remember to tell you when their experience occurred. In the case of Faciolaro, the two previous references (really just one, posted by the same person on different threads, just days apart) was actually quite recent (Sep 2004). I'm not sure I would think to withhold info in response to an inquiry - - if I had been there 2 or 3 years earlier!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:31 PM

One more restaurant to comment on, please:

L'orso 80

Come on fodorites, your help is needed, or we'll starve in Rome, and although that may not cause you to help, just think of the 2 dogs who will be left to be taken care of by the in-laws...a fate that should never be forced on any animal, let alone 2 of man's best friends!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:40 PM

L'Orso 80 is great. Right off of P. Navona. Great antipasti but the rest of the food is great as well.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Ditirambo--was there about a year and a half ago and loved it. Great food, fun atmosphere. Gets crowded, reservations necessary.
With Perilli, Pollarolo, and Settimio, I've been there in the last two years. I was at Giggetto about three years ago and Sora Lella and Armando five years ago. I've been to Perilli and Settimio numerous times (I've going to Perilli about 15 years) and they don't change.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Griniska and LUAnnski - thank you both for your responses. You may just have saved 2 of God's finest creatures!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

I just found quite a few Rome restaurant reviews on virtualtourist.com. Also, there are a some on Slowtrav.com. I'm determined to plan ahead this trip and not waste money on any bad meals. Good luck!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

grinisa:
Some of those reviews on slowtrav look like they are yours! Thanks for all your help.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 04:02 AM

We are not leaving until tomorrow so my recommendations are second hand. However, they come from a combination of Sandra Gustafson, friends (who know food) and other Fodors posters. Also, since I am not sure of the areas yet, you may just want to do a little more research to find out exactly where they are:
Piazza San Callisto
Antico Arco
al Moro
Sora Lella
Sentimio All Arancino
Aranco D'ora
Colline Emiliame
Mario's

Hope this helps. Will post all reviews and more when we return.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 04:17 AM

I was at La Tartaruga last May; it was good, but I found it slightly overpriced. It is no longer the cozy winebar it has been described as in earlier posts.

The antipasto at L'Orso 80 is very good and very good value.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Here's another vote for Giggettos with its Jewish/Roman cuisine. The food was very good and the wine likewise. The "primi piatti" bakala (sp?) was especially superb - deep fried cod, crispy and tender without being greasy. Wish I could remember everything else we had there, but we frequented so many Roman restaurants that it's all a big gastronomical blur now!

If you want really good, reasonably priced spaghetti every which way you can think of, try Archetto near the Trevi Fountain area. The place was bustling and seemed to be frequented by many locals and the food was terrific.

A small trattoria near the Pantheon called Antonio's was also very good. They had quite a line!
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:07 AM

damama,
Colline Emiliane is not very far from Piazza Barberini. Unfortunately, I was not very impressed with the food, and the service was pretty so-so, too.

BC
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:17 AM

I have twice been to Giggetto (Da Giggetto, I thought ?) but only for lunch. I particularly remember enjoying the deep fried artichokes and the sweetbreads. My husband enjoyed the brains but they were a bit too creamy for me - I couldn't have eaten a whole portion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -