Search

Stay in Venice or near-help needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay in Venice or near-help needed

Hi,
Thanks for the advice on my trip. Having huge problems finding an inexpensive lace to stay near Venice. We can do hotels, rooms with bathrooms or studios. One mom with 11 and 15 year old kids. What is a reasonable area near Venice that we can get into and out of the city inexpensively and would be safe to stay? We are traveling there from April 13 to 17. I totally forgot about Easter when I bought the plane tickets in August of last year.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 08:52 PM

Limited choice since Venice in located at the end of a "spit" that juts out - at the top end there is Mestre, a rather nondescript and mostly industrial area with a train station on the fast through-line east-west, and frequent shuttle trains down to the Venice train station by the lagoon.

Not the end of the world if you find something in Mestre, just treat it as what it will be, a utilitarian place to stay to save money. If you find something near the train stop, then it won't be too bad - it doesn't take long to get down to Venice.

Use Google Maps, find Mestre Stazione FS (that's Italian for train station FS meaning Italian Railways), zoom in hugely until business names appear, and google each hotel name that pops up. I see Ambasciatori, Delfino, Best Western Bologna, Trieste, Paradiso Venezia, Regit - and more, and a B+B called Train-Station. All in easy walking distance to the train (you are not the first to want to do this...).

Hopefully one of thee will suit you.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 09:14 PM
mjs

Highly recommend that you stay in Venice. There are generally inexpensive places to stay near the train station. What is inexpensive to you? Venice is quite expensive. Last minute does not equate to good prices.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 10:17 PM

Go to booking.com.
Plug in Venice and your dates.
I saw a number of places that looked pretty good, some apartment style, in the price range of $200.00 per night for three people, in Dorsoduro and on the Lido. There were even a few in the $150.00 range.

I like Dorsoduro. It is convenient and quiet. It is easy to get a vaporetto and nice area to walk. I would choose that over the Lido, but would choose the Lido over Maestre. I think that is the best you can do at that time, and not bad, really for three people. Most places had only one room left that could accommodate three people, so if you see something you like, jump in it.

I have stayed on the Lido and actually like it very much. You get more for your money in the hotel. It is less convenient to go back and forth, but it is nice arriving to Venice on the water, very pretty actually.

I also like staying near the train station for the convenience, but everything I looked at was booked for those dates.

You can book through booking.com, but can also call the hotel to check rates and book directly. Ask if cash gets a discount. Ask about breakfast. Ask if taxes are included! With booking.com, check the website for cancellation policies and any fees.

To save money, there are some excellent tiny sandwich stands (open for lunch and into early afternoon) in Dorsoduro and there is a cafeteria near the train station. We often had sandwiches for lunch and stopped before they closed to get some for later for supper.

Would hate to change hotels, but if you can't find a place you like for the whole time, that is affordable, check for two nights at a time, and stay in Venice proper for a couple of nights and on the Lido or a couple of nights. Good luck.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 11:51 PM

Hi belkis,

We stayed at Vanessa House in Martellago a few years ago (2 years in a row actually). Totally delightful hosts and a very pretty neighborhood. Who would have guessed? Most of Mestre is exactly what is described above, but this is in a leafy residential area close by called Martellago. The hosts went above and beyond---even driving us to their favorite restaurant which ended up being one of our favorite of the whole trip. Big family-run pasta and pizza place that your kids would like too.

They also drove us to the train station in Mestre (15 mins.) each day to catch the train. The husband is an IT guy and helped immensely when our computers wouldn't access their wifi.

I checked on-line and it appears they have availability for your dates. Approx. €70/night.

Vanessa House
https://www.vanessahouse.com/it/

There are certainly enough reviews on TripAdvisor to give you pics and insight.

Travel well,

LisaG
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 12:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I had to stay in Mestre then I would stay about 400 metres east of the station, becuase the station area is pretty noisy and is not only tatty but this is where the undesirables hang out. About 400 metres to the west north west, perfectly safe to walk this way, down a busy shopping street, you finally get to old Mestre. (use google maps street view to see) which is actually pretty old and nice. Not too big but perfectly pleasant. On google maps it is the brown blob.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 01:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh and you can catch the bus the 4L, 4 53E from right near here every 15 minutes and takes about 15 minutes. This saves you going back to the train station and dumps you in virtually the same place as the train out at Venice proper.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 05:42 AM

How much do you want to pay?
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 06:12 AM

Lido. Generally really good prices compared to Venice proper. And it's a beautiful 15-minute vaporetto ride to San Marco. Also, the #2 vaporetto, that does the Grand Canal with minimal stops, originates there, so you can get the prime seats way up front. And easy food stores, cafes, restaurants. I've stayed 7 different places on Lido and it's always a joy.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I booked casavanessa based on Lisa G. Advice and trippadvisor reviews. If they can't fit all three of us (question I emailed them) then lido is my second choice based on your advice.
Thank again
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 09:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<I like Dorsoduro.>

That's where I have stayed. Loved it. Very convenient. Look at the booking dot com as suggested above. No reason to stay out in the Lido to get the budget you need.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 12:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Try this convent.

http://www.salesianivenezia.it/
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 12:54 PM

The Lido - my friends always stay there in off-season (beachwise) and get really cheap modern rooms - boats scoot to Venice proper frequently -buy a boat pass to lessen costs. The Lido is Venice's seaside resort - cars also allowed in.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 02:15 PM

The Lido - parts of the English Patient were shot here and Thomas Mann wrote his "Death in Venice" while staying here.

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Lido
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 02:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Doesn't make it convenient for this particular request.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 02:40 PM

The B&B you have booked looks great! It would be especially nice in Summer when you could use the pool, so I will keep it in mind for myself for Summer trips.

You will be there for four days though, so hope they really can accommodate getting you to the train every day because the free shuttle does not run until 10:30, a bit of a late start by time you get into Venice. Then there is the short train ride into Venice, then a walk or vaporetto to get to sights.

Personally, I love being right in Venice and walking out the door to the sights and sounds of Venice waking up. Still, for the price, you probably can't beat your B&B.

I hope they can, but if they can't accommodate the three of you, do look at places in Dorsoduro. I have stayed two different places there and would do so again.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 02:52 PM

Have you checked sites like homeaway.com or airb&b? Really, if at all possible stay in Venice itself. Away from the main tourist areas is the best for Venice.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 05:35 AM

We stayed at Ca' del Nobile for 5 nights in December and thought it was lovely - one of the biggest rooms we've ever had in Europe. We paid about 100 € a night and considered it a major bargain. It may be lots more when it's not winter, and maybe lots more for less than the 5 nights we stayed. But worth checking out.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 07:11 AM

What is a reasonable area near Venice that we can get into and out of the city inexpensively and would be safe to stay?>

Doesn't make it convenient for this particular request.>

Lido seems to be a perfect match for the OP's question?

Better IMO than Mestre the real Venice on the mainland.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. We decided to stay at Vanessahouse. We may lose some time out of sightseeing in Venice but I wanted a nice , homey place since my daughter will turn 12 while we are there and will probably be homesick for her father and older brother, who aren't traveling with us. Ended up with a nightly rate of 95 euros, including breakfast but hopefully the hosts will be as friendly as the reviews indicate and that will help make the day better for her.
Thanks for the great advice,
Belkis