Search

Stay in Sorrento or Positano

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay in Sorrento or Positano

Hi all,

My hubby and I are trying to decide where to stay while travelling in Italy. We have our other destinations solved with the exception of 3 nights on the Amalfi Coast. We are debating Sorrento, Positano ... and maybe even Amalfi. Things that are important to us include view, food... and gelato. Funny, right. Actually we are celebrating my birthday and I am hoping for a memorable one. Oh, and we will need easy access to train or whatever modus operandi of transport along the Amalfi to get out and explore.

Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 11:05 PM

For views, food, romance etc. - it's hard to beat Positano (or even Praiano for that matter). Unfortunately we visited Positano after Florence so the gelato there never had a chance!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 03:07 AM

If you do a search above you'll find there have been about 14 threads on this lately - with tons of answers and extensive info.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:25 AM
ira

Hi

We spent a week in Praiano (6km E of Positano) at the Hotel Le Sirene (www.lesirene.com) and enjoyed it very much.

See my trip report for details.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:31 AM

We just returned from theAmalfi coast and we stayed in Sorrento. I would recommend staying there because of its easy access to everywhere. We took day trips to capri, positano,Ravello,nd pompei and they were all within easy distances. we did have a car which we found to be great.Sorrento is larger and offers more choices,however, i loved Positano the day were there.I think you will love Sorrento-we did.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Positano would be my pick for an unforgettable birthday, although the gelato we had was only mediocre... Would you settle for excellent homemade lemon sorbet in town near the beach?

Positano has good transportation available through the SITA buses, which go up and down the coast. You can also take a hydrofoil ( if weather permits) to Capri.

For dinner, I'd highly recommend one of the wonderful restaurants in Montepertuso, a mountain village about 20 min. by car from Positano. There's IL RITROVO ( my favorite) DONNA ROSA, and at least a few others. IL RITROVO will pick you up at your hotel and bring you back if you have your concierge call ahead. It is worth going early for pre-dinner drinks, so that you can watch the sun setting over the mountain, all the way down to Positano.

Have a wonderful birthday!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

You are all so kind. I am so excited. Now to find a room with a view that is not ridiculously expensive!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:53 AM

My husband and I were in Italy on his birthday. At midnight at the start of his day, we were sitting in San Marco Square in Venice. That night we were sitting on the terrace of La Sponda at the Sirenuse in Positano. They even brought him out a small cake. Positano cannot be beat for the sheer beauty of the scenery from every spot. You might want to try the Hotel California. Be sure to ask for a room with a small balcony. It offers the same view as the Sirenuse at a much lower price!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Positano! And, have a happy birthday..
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:10 AM

oh, and a good place for a fabulous birthday feast is also hotel San Pietro. It is a five-star luxury establishment, perched on top of cliff and bathed in mediterranean flowers..With an unforgettable view..Make sure you reserve ahead of time, cuz it is very popular.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:40 AM

stormie3,

Just thought I'd mention some Positano hotels that have gotten consistently good reviews here online, and aren't ridiculously expensive:

Albergo Miramare
Villa Franca
Villa Rosa
Hotel California
Best Western Pasitea

If you want ridiculously expensive but heaven on earth, there's the incomparable Le Sirenuse, or my personal favorite, the Hotel Poseidon.

Other posters have also raved about Covo dei Sarceni, but it's pricey.

Good luck in your planning!

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

All of you are wonderful. I am checking into Positano and many of your wonderful recommendations. I have been beating my head against a wall looking and trying to decide. Thank you for contributing to a very special birthday.

Are there any restaurant recommendations in Positano. I would love to surprise my hubby... turn about is fair play.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:33 PM

A vote for Villa Rosa as hotel in Positano; it's beautifully situated with a spectacular view of mountains and sea, rooms nicely appointed, friendly owners, and reasonable price. www.villarosapositano.com