Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

any cities with architecture similar to Barcelona?

Jun 29th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

I really love the Gaudi architecture that I found in the city of Barcelona. Are there any other cities where I can find that similar style? Thanks!
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:47 AM

Barcelona is quite unique. Another treasure trove of architecture is found in Chicago, IL. I think you would find the Chicago-style archetecture quite innovative and intriguing.

Check out http://www.architecture.org/ for tours of the Chicago Architecture. They are fabulous and there are so many to choose from!

- Sharon
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:49 AM

Actually, the Cathedral in downtown Chicago on State street has several elements that remind me of Gaudi's work.

- Sharon
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:23 AM

If you extrapolate and view Gaudi as being related to Art Nouveau, then there're a bunch of possibilities -- the Vienna Secessionist style, Art Nouveau in Paris, even the Tulchinsky Theatre in Amsterdam. One definining feature (to me, anyway) would be curves (very few straight lines, etc.).
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Sorry -- I meant Art Nouveau in Brussels (but presumably, in Paris as well).
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Art Nouveau (or "moderniste") architecture is all over Europe if you know where to look. In Spain, it tends to concentrate in Catalonia (not just Barcelona but most towns, such as Sitges on the shoreline west of the city. There are also a great number of fine buildings in Palma de Mallorca. But you can see splendid art nouveau architecture in Brussels, Paris, Vienna, Prague, Krakow... and although different in interpretation, don't forget the splendid (if limited) legacy of the Scottish school in Glasgow and Strathclyde.

If you're doing multi-country touring of Europe, it's a fine way to link your visits by looking at how a vigourous arts movement gained expression across national boundaries, how people used "springboard" influences to make their own interpretations.
Jun 29th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! Gardyloo and others: If you know of any good tours focusing on architectural movements around Europe, such as Art Nouveau, please let know.
Jun 29th, 2004, 10:15 AM

Bettyo70, there's a company called Archetours (www.archetours.com) that specializes in what they call "architectural travel". Their trips include one to Barcelona and Bilbao, one to Belgium (called "an architectural journey from medieval to Art Nouveau"), and one to Scotland (focusing on Mackintosh and other architects and designers who were influenced by Art Nouveau).

Archetours isn't doing any public tours in 2004 (just private group tours) because, according to their website, they're "taking a hiatus from our public tours ... to allow us time to develop new itineraries and revamp old ones, as well as work on a number of new architectural education projects."

I haven't traveled with Archetours, but I've had my eye on a couple of their trips for a while, so I hope they resume their public tours next year. I'd be interested to know if any Fodorites have traveled with Archetours and, if so, what they thought of the experience.
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bree! I will do some research in to Arche Tours.
Jun 30th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Paris seems to be the closest to Barcelona, minus the flattened corners on the buildings.
Chicago has neat architecture, but there's NO U.S. city in the same league with Barcelona (or Paris or Copenhagen etc etc)
Jun 30th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Re: Paris seems to be the closest to Barcelona, minus the flattened corners on the buildings.

Interestingly, there's a special name for those flattened corners; they're called chamfered corners (I read that in a book before I went to Barcelona.)

(Etymology: back-formation from chamfering, alteration of Middle French chanfreint, from past participle of chanfraindre to bevel, from chant edge (from Latin canthus iron tire) + fraindre to break, from Latin frangere

I've never seen corners like that on buildings in any other city, and it's one of the things I really liked about the Eixample.

Anyway, I agree marty, I got real Paris vibe in many parts of Barcelona, especially the Passeig de Gracia.
Jun 30th, 2004, 01:44 PM

IMO, there is no city I have seen that is as architecturally interesting as Barcelona. Certainly, none have the richness of examples of the "modernist" movement. There are some fine examples of Nouveau in Paris, particularly the 16th arr; there are also several Le Corbusier buildings in and around Paris that are very pleasing. I found Prague wonderful with a rich architectural heritage, dating back 1000 years and some very unique Nouveau buildings. I am visiting the Northern coast of Spain this weekend and one of the towns (sorry, memory fails at the moment) has a few buildings by Gaudi and friends ? I'll keep you posted.

regards Ger
Jun 30th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Leon and Astorga(both on Camino route) are two places with Gaudi's work.