Reload this Page >

Barcelona safety

Search

Barcelona safety

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 11:03 AM
jen

Barcelona safety

I have now been living here 3 months now and I have not experienced a single incident or attempted incident of pick pocketing or any other type of crime or violence. Further, we have hosted numerous friends from the States in this time and not a single one has remotely experienced any crime. Also, we have been partying and coming and going of all hours the day and night and still have not been attacked.<BR><BR>Reading people's post when I first arrived had me scared s-less to ride the metro, go out alone as a woman, etc. Who are you people that keeping posting about safety? Do you look like typical tourists- are you wearing signs that say 'target me'? Do you have Euros hanging out of your back pockets? Maybe it's because I grew up in a violent city, aka DC (which was murder capital of the world for a while) and my family is from the Big Apple that I am accustomed to constantly using common sense and monitoring my surroundings as a matter of habit. Further, as a woman I wouldn't walk or jog alone at night back home, nor will I do it here.<BR><BR>Anyways, just needed to vent because I am getting sick of seeing these over-exaggerated posts about safety. <BR><BR>I feel much safer here than my relatives in the DC-area currently do with the Sniper roaming around their backyards. <BR><BR>Use common sense people and realize that Western Europe is no less safe than any major US city. Act accordingly and you will be fine.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 11:38 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>just to agree with this post.<BR><BR>I don't know of anywhere in Europe where I feel more worried than in downtown :<BR>Detroit<BR>Chicago<BR>LA<BR><BR>etc<BR><BR>No rmal big city precautions are all you need <BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Maggie

Well said Jen!<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:23 AM
rachel

Finally- some common sense!!!! Bravo!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:20 AM
sass

I just saw someone else posting about being afraid of the city. Amazing with what goes on at home in DC!