Notices

Almafi Coast Qustion

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almafi Coast Qustion

Where is the best town to base out of for this area? Looking more in the apartments direction for accomodations seeing as there are 6 of us. We are looking to stay in this area for about 4 or 5 days. Thanks, S
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 12:49 PM
cherylforeurope

I'll top this for you. Unfortunately, haven't been there yet...going next summer. Have found many favor Sorrento as a base because of better/more connections to the other areas. I've decided on Positano...can't resist the views from the balcony during breakfast and late at night..not quite as crowded with tourists. What time of year are you going and what do you want to see?

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 12:55 PM

I second Positano...I've been twice and I just adore it there. Infact I want to live and die in Positano.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM

After a lot of research and a previous visit to Sorrento, we chose Positano, too. We were glad we did, as it was totally gorgeous.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 01:19 PM

As much as I LOVE Positano, the answer to your question really depends on what you want to do during your five days. If you're interested in visiting Pompeii, for instance, you're better off basing in Sorrento where you can catch the local train which takes only about 30 minutes to Pompeii.

Sorrento also has more frequent and typically less cancelled boat connections to Capri than Positano.

And Sorrento offers more of a price range in hotels and apartments than Positano, which can be very expensive in season.

But again, depends on what you want to do. For heavenly views that are beyond spectacular, there's nothing like Positano. It's unforgettably beautiful and romantic, and for me, the heart of the coast. However, there's not much to do right in town other than eat, drink,dream, and take in the view.

There are SITA buses and boats to other towns from Positano, but Positano itself is really meant for the fine art of unwinding and doing just about nothing.