St Rémy Market - 13 July and Le 14 july celebration

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2016, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if the St Remy market will still be on 13 July, as there will be bull running that night through the town and perhaps preparations for Le 14 July next day. Also, are there any restaurants/cafes on the route where we could watch the action on 13th and has anyone been to these celebrations and has some tips on what is worth seeing. We have previously been in Bonnieux for Le 14 July and had a wonderful night eating and dancing with the locals. Are there any villages nearby which have better celebrations? We aren't interested in going into Avignon that night. Cheers.
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 08:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Street markets are not at all affected by holidays on a different day. In fact, they are not affected when a holiday falls on the same day, because business is even better.

Actually, the Avignon fireworks are not bad, and there is a huge grassy plain along the Rhône from which to admire them as they are shot for the Pont Saint-Bénézet (Pont d'Avignon).
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 09:20 AM

I haven't been there when that happened (13 on Wed) but I know they postpone the market on some real big holidays (like May 1st) if it falls on the holiday itself, and if it were on 14 juillet they would have cancelled it due to the nuit taurine. The bull stuff isn't until evening, anyway, after 8-9 pm. The market is in the mornings until about 1 pm. You could be right that they will be preparing stuff, I would guess it will still happen in the morning, but it's just a guess.

I have been in Arles for a similar event and it was a lot of fun, I just walked around and watched from the sidewalk (the bull running, bandido etc). May be different in St Remy, in Arles, that didn't occur right next to any sidewalk cafes where you could be sitting to watch it--if you've ever been to any event like that, people line the streets and sidewalks, you would never be able to see it well by sitting at a cafe table along the route (eg, the Tour de France in Paris). I believe it starts at place de la Republique, so there is always Cafe de la Place and Cafe de la BOurse right there.
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 12:25 PM

>>>Street markets are not at all affected by holidays on a different day. In fact, In fact, they are not affected when a holiday falls on the same day<<<

The holiday may not cancel the market, but in 1999 the bulls did!!! We were there for 2 weeks and July 14 was on a Wednesday - normal market day. The bulls ran July 13. They could not "clean up" after the bulls in time - so the market was cancelled.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 01:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I cannot imagine a café leaving tables outside if bulls are running down the street.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so mch for your invaluable assistance. Has anyone been ther for 14 July and knows what happens in the day/night. As I mentioned we had a wonderful communal dinner and dancing in Bonnieux. I am hoping St Remy has something similar.
Old Mar 12th, 2016, 02:31 AM

Have you checked out the St-Rémy website? IME, every village/town in France has one, and it always notes what activities are due to take place in detail.
Old Mar 12th, 2016, 06:01 AM

There was a grande paella in town.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 12th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys,
Yes I've checked it out but it is not up yet. Personal recommendations are always great as well though.