St. Patricks Day in Western Ireland?

Sep 10th, 2002, 07:01 AM
kerry

St. Patricks Day in Western Ireland?

Has anyone experienced an Irish St. Patrick's
Day in more rural areas than Dublin? My family and I expect to be in the western counties either in the Sligo or Galway vacinity by March 17th (Monday this year).While this is not meant to be the highlight of our trip, we'd like to take advantage of the (more low-keyed) Irish celebration of the day. Suggestions anyone??? Thanks!

Sep 10th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Siobhan

Don't expect too many marching bands and a showy parade. In rural areas they have 1-2 bands and tractors with home made floats. Very old fashioned and nothing like the parade in Dublin. Not something I would go miles to see but quaint if you are around for it.

Sep 25th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Aud

Honestly, if you're going to be in Ireland for St. Patrick's day you have to go to Dublin. There is usually a weekend of celebrations, including a hugh fireworks display on St Patrick's Night. It would be a shame to miss it. The celebrations in the rest of Ireland are pretty tame.

Sep 25th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Paros Shep

West Cork may be VERY tame compared to Dublin, but much more Irish. Having lived in Oregon for 50 years and Ireland for 7. We saw the Americanisation of St. Pat's Day, Halloween and the like taking place. Personally I enjoyed the quiet afternoon in a Ballydehob pub better than the raucous night in a USA "Irish " pub.

Share our piece of paradise: www.iol.ie/~balydhob

Sep 26th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Joyce

Dublin is not the only place worth to see during St Patrick's Day, unless you are just interested in seing the city dirtier than it is already and the people more drunk than they usually are!! in the West there are also celebrations of course, especially around Galway. And what if the parade is made of tractors in small places? Don't they eat potatoes and turnips in Dublin? that is what Ireland is, whether city-slikers like it or not, a rural country!!! and that is where the real Irish people and gaelic are...

Sep 26th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Siobhan

I hope I did not make the rural St. Pats day sound negative I just want people to realise it's more quaint and nothing like the American St. Patricks day. ~I have seen both in Dublin and the country and they are both good but very different experiences. For kids Dublin is great as its a weekend festival and many things are geared to kids. The Parade is in my opinion more creative and artistic than NY and fun. Yes there is the scourge of pissed teens and people falling out of pubs but earlier in the day its ok. My favourite part is the monster Ceili in St. Stephens green where they clos3e off the streets and play music and hundreds of people are irish Dancing. It's open to everyone and appeals to all ages. BTW I haven't had a turnip in years!

Sep 26th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Fin

If you want a good night out, go to the pub the night before St. Patrick's Day. The 17th is a national holiday, so the locals would tend to get a bit crazier the night before since they won't have to work the next day.