Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone fallen in love with Provence the way they did with Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Morgan

I have visited Tuscany 2 times and I am interested in visiting Provence now. It seems like people write so passionately about their love for Tuscany, but I don't feel the same passion for Provence. If there are people who do feel that way about Provence could you share your experiences?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Suzanne

Have you not read any of Peter Mayle's books on Provence, or seen the highly popular series on PBS of recent years? Provence is one of THE hot spots, even more so than Tuscany. One can get very passionate about Provence. My most favorite towns are Arles, St. Remy de Provence, Orange, etc. to name a few.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Marvin the Dancing Hippo

<BR><BR>I think there are plenty of people who feel passion for Provence. I sure do. Both Tuscany and Provence are extremely beautiful and interesting places, with gorgeous landscapes, interesting towns, and a rich history.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:23 PM
xx

I prefer Provence to Tuscany. Everything about it - towns, FOOD, landscape, signage, etc.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Morgan

I should have said I don't hear it in others when they speak of Provence as when people speak about Tuscany. I know I am extremely eager and passionate about visiting there, hopefully next year.<BR><BR>This is just what I needed to hear-keep it coming!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Passion

Here's your itinerary: Fly to Paris, spend a night to unwind. Take the TGV to Nice. Pick up your car and drive the Moyenne Corniche to Eze village and stay in Chateau de la Chevre d'Or. BREATHTAKING, my gosh. Swing down to Monte Carlo. Take a side trip over to Bordighera for lunch in Italy . . . Monet painted there! Back to France, up to St. Paul de Vence, and book your hotel there at the Le St. Paul. You'll be staying inside the city walls, no other cars are allowed in unless you are a guest at the hotel. Chagall is buried in the little cemetery. Walk through this little perched village. Drive through Tourrette sur Loup, violet capital of the world, end up in Mougins, and stay at Moulin de Mougins . . . stay in the villa there, second floor, eat with Roger Verge at the Moulin, 2 Michelin Stars. Passion, Passion, do I have to keep going. Took this trip with a great travel buddy and stayed at all the Relais and Chateaus . . . and then a year later took husband back and repeated the trip.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:39 PM
John B

Passion:<BR><BR>Your suggested itinerary to visit Cote d'Azur is straight out of a romance novel. At US$300+ a night you are somewhat out of my league. Have you been reading St. Tropez or what?<BR><BR>The real Provence that I have visited over the years is not the Cote d'Azur. It's Lourmarin, l'Isle sur Sorge, Vaison-la-Romaine, Seguret and the like. <BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Lucy

Hi Morgan really enjoyed Provence (but did not love it quite as much as I do Tuscany). However if I was to go there again I'd more carefully choose the time of year as when I was there late September last year the fields of sunflowers were all black & dying off & I never saw of of those breathtaking fields of lavender you see in postcards. I would imagine Spring or Summer would be best for this. Cheers!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Liz Z.

I loved them both in different ways. I found the countryside of Tuscany more beautiful (lusher than Provence, perhaps?), but I preferred the food, the colors, and the markets of Provence. If I had to choose only one to go back to, it would be a dificult choice indeed.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Liz Z.

I loved them both in different ways. I found the countryside of Tuscany more beautiful (lusher than Provence, perhaps?), but I preferred the food, the colors, and the markets of Provence. If I had to choose only one to go back to, it would be a difficult choice indeed.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:36 AM
maryjane

You will love Provence. We have visited each twice, most recently Provence in 2000 and Tuscany in 2001. It is almost impossible to choose between the two, each is wonderful and unique. I agree with the poster who commented on the markets in Provence. They are the best I have ever experienced. Provence is more varied and more beautiful to me but, perhaps because I speak some Italian, Tuscany seems more approachable. Both are at their most beautiful in May or June when you can see the poppies and lavendar in Provence and beautiful green hills in Tuscany. The hill towns are wonderful. I know that if you have loved Tuscany, you will love Provence as well. They are my favorite places. Enjoy.