Search

Provence vs. Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 09:01 PM
lkj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence vs. Tuscany

I've been to Tuscany but not Provence. Friends we were traveling with have been to both and thought they were somewhat similar. Just wondered if others agree, and if you had to chose, which one you prefer. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 11:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Over ten years ago, my husband and I took a wonderful vacation in which we spent a few days in Tuscany and a few in Provence. They are similar in that both are gorgeous areas with small medieval villages perched on hilltops with panoramic views of the countryside. The differences are cultural, culinary and atmospheric, one area very French, the other very Italian. Vive la difference!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Both are wonderful. One big difference to me---Tuscany has more Italians and fewer Frenchmen.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:21 AM

I'll let you know at the end of May when we get back from France. I think we will enjoy Provence for similar reasons that we enjoyed Tuscany. Outside of big cities, people are more accessible and life is more simple. We also enjoy the Virginia and California "wine country" regions.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:01 AM

I find them rather similar, too, though they each have their own charms.<BR><BR>Provence is a bit dryer, with a more windswept, sparse look. Not as many hills as Tuscany. Tuscany is generally more fertile appearing, to me.<BR><BR>They are both more the type of place to sit back and relax; not as much art &amp; culture as other places. In Provence, however, there are plenty of Roman antiquities to view, if you like that.<BR><BR>In Provence, we ate at more up-scale (some Michelin-rated) restaurants, where in Tuscany, we like to experience the more casual, local cuisine. There are more formal restauarants in Tuscany, as well, we just prefer local cuisine in Italy &amp; the more high-end stuff in Provence - there are quite a few of those!<BR><BR>If I had to choose, I'd choose the Dordogne, but that wasn't on your list...
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Gino

To bobthenavigator<BR>Shame on you!!

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:08 PM
RDN

Provence - not as many hills as Tuscany? That really depends where you are! If in what is called the arriere-pays (back country), it is quite hilly and evenmountainous.