Search

St. Patrick's Day in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Patrick's Day in Ireland

Hi,

My finance and I are planning a 10-day stay in Ireland for our honeymoon from March 8 - 18th. We plan on touring aroung Southwest Ireland and were wondering what would be the best place to spend St. Patrick's Day? Or if anyone knows of any special St. Patrick's Day events? Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated!

Dawn
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:00 PM

pliant, I have never been to Ireland but over the years I have read many times that Ireland does not make a big celebration out of St. Patrick's Day like we do in the US.

Hopefully someone more famaliar with Ireland however can tell you what celebrations, if any, there are.

Have a great trip. Everyone I know who has visited Ireland came back raving about their trip!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:29 PM

pliant - St. Patrick's Day in Ireland is an actual holy day...I've been several times, and if I were there for that day, I would want to be in Dublin, there's more of a likelihood of any kind of celebration there. Have a great time!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 03:20 PM

I was in Ireland on March 18 in the town of Slane outside Dublin. There were decorations that indicated there was some sort of celebration on St. Pats.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 01:00 AM

St Patricks Day is a bank holiday here and most large towns and cities around the country have their own parade. The parade in Dublin has improved substantially over the last number of years, but, the parades in small towns around the country are generally quite pathetic! - they usually start with local kids - scouts, girl guides, etc, just walking down the street. Some local brass bands will walk along too, and then there's usually some local businesses that drive at the end of the parade to promote their services! There's usually not much more to it than that. The rest of the day is usually celebrated by going to the pub! For locals, in Dublin in particular, it's becoming more and more popular to celebrate the night before - so you go out to the pub on the 16th, stay in bed on the 17th and go back into work on the 18th!!

for info on the celebrations in Dublin , go to http://www.stpatricksday.ie/cms/

there are usually some good events and the celebrations go on all week.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 01:14 AM

When in Dubin two years ago for St Patricks day, the fireworks display was very impressive. Happens the night of the 17th and takes place in the financial district of Dublin or IFSC as its called. Well worth the trip to see it.

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:15 AM
cd

We spent St Patrick's day two years ago at a pub in Gallway. We drank beer and played cards and had fun but, the decorations and celebrations are bigger here in the States. However, I do hear that Dublin gives a good party.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:38 AM

St Patrick's Day isn't really a big thing in Ireland.

Over the years it's become an opportunity for Plastic Paddy's around the world, particularly in the US (and to a lesser extent in the UK) to claim that the fact that their great-great-great-grandmother visited Ireland once makes them Irish. I spent Paddy's Day in Savannah a few years ago - and not one person I spoke to had the first clue where Ireland even is, yet most seemed to be claiming some sort of Irish heritage!

In Ireland it's a much lower-key affair (partly due to the religious connotations) but the wonder that is marketing and advertising means that you will invariably find something happening. To be honest though, there's more than enough going on in Ireland at any time to have a good time any day of the week!

Congratulations and I hope that you have a fabulous honeymoon!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 03:10 AM

It is a big thing in Dublin and the religious aspect is practically lost these days to be honest. Its a "festival" in dublin over a few days and St Patricks day is a national holiday and ,most people are off work. There are fireworks, events, Music outside and the pubs of course. I really enjoy it. I would though avoid temple bar as it can get a bit rowdy with druks teens. Check out the website cailin sent.

Last year I saw a polish theatre group in Smithfield over the weeks of events it was great. People from all over the world are in the parade and many performance arts groups do something during the week to showcase themselves up to the parade.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:59 AM

As Cailin said, the night before St. Patrick's Day tends to be a big night in the pub, since you don't have to go to work the next there.

There's a week-long festival in Downpatrick (a long-way from where you'll be, but in case anyone else is interested) where St. Patrick was buried (I think at least one other town claims him as well) in County Down, Northern Ireland.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Was in Dublin for St Patrick's day in 2003. If you are into huge crowds go. If not stay away from Dublin. We couldn't get anywhere near to see the parade and the pubs were so jammed you were lucky if you could get a drink. We ended up regretting it.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 01:53 AM

Clueless It was fine for us last year. You just don't go to the pubs near ther parade you branch out a few blocks away.

The parade does get packed because people bring their children and its really for the kids. You are better getting a view at the end of the parade or by O'Connell Bridge.

Also go to the Ceili afterwards where there is live musc and sometimes Irish Dancing. It was not packed and lots of room to move around. This was last year. We moved to a pub that was busy but we took over a snug and had our friends all join us. You will never find an empty bar and if you did why go in it will be boring .

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:17 PM

But can you get green beer?

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 03:00 AM

No green beer and no shamrocks in the guinness thank god! I ate pizza with green dye once in America and spent the night getting sick from it. Yuck.