St Patrick's Day in Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is St Patrick's Day in Ireland like?
Is it celebrated in much the same way as it is in the States or is it a solemn religious occasion.
Asking in behalf of a friend who is planning a trip to Ireland at that time of year.
Thanks
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 05:26 PM
cd

We were in Ireland last year for St Patrick's Day. There were hardly any decorations or parties. We felt that we in the States celebrated more. However, I have heard that Dublin has a great parade and do celebrate St Patrick's.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 10:48 PM

I equate St. Patrick's Day in Ireland to be much like our Easter is. The day begins with church services. A big meal will follow then many towns will have a parade (mostly small) with the hugh one in Dublin. Then, the family goes home for some family/quiet time and go out out later in the evening (usually around 9:30 or so) for music in the pubs. My mom lives in Ireland and when we were there we were the only ones at the pub in green-they thought we were cute!!
Shadow
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 12:41 AM

There is a big parade in Dublin which is good fun but very crowded. Years ago the pubs used to close on St Patrick's Day but since they revoked that law, people tend to flock to the pubs and get horribly drunk. My advice would be that if you're in Dublin, go to the parade in the morning, and then get the hell out of there - go for a walk to Howth or Glendalough or something. Stay away from the city centre until the next day. Outside of Dublin St. Patrick's Day tends to be a quiet day - most people go to Church in the morning and spend the day with their families.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 01:43 AM

I agree with the above posters that outside of Dublin, the holiday is not one of wild celebration. It is becoming more and more of a celebratory holiday in Dublin. If your friend is a Notre Dame fan, the ND marching band is supposed to play in the parade in 2004, should be lots of fun!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:40 AM

One of my cousins has a life ambition to spend March 17th in NYC; he's heard about the US celebrations and wants to see them for himself!

Dublin and also to some extent Cork, have Americanized their St. Patrick's Day celebrations, but elsewhere it tends to be much like it was in my home growing up; a day to go to Mass, visit the cemetary, and perhaps indulge in a few whiskies after dinner. Wearing cutesy little green things decorated with shamrocks is considered rather daft in most of the country.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 12:24 AM

ttt
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 02:44 AM

Some of the responses seem old fashioned to me. I don't know anyone who goes to Mass on St. Patricks day except my granny who did when she was alive. It's more the older generation that does this. Maybe its a country thing.

It's also not really a family dinner day like some people think. As well wearing green is for the tourists, Irish think its a bit daft.

I agree to stay away from the city centre after the festivities. Well not actually the city but more stay away from Temple Bar as it gets ugly. The parade is on approx 11am and I like it better than the NY one. Its more geared to kids and has a festival atmosphere. Afterwards there is the Monster Ceili (SP?) on St Stephens green with live music and dancing in the streets with instruction. Over the 2-3 days of the St. Pats festival they also have the fireworks by Custom House on the liffey and a fun fair by the river for children. At night on Grafton Street some of the entertainers from other countries perform on the street and have a small procession with fire eaters etc. They are trying to create a more Festival atmosphere to the parade.

Overall I think its a fun day pout in Dublin but Avoid City centre pubs Temple bar
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Don't embarrass yourself by going into a pub and asking if they have green beer.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 06:10 AM

Besides the Guinness, they have a wonderful lager called Smithwich. Just bring your own green food coloring and add a drop or two. You'll be the life of the party.