split to dubrovnik

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
split to dubrovnik

I will be travelling to Croatia in August and need suggestions on the best way to get from Split to Dubrovnik, There would be 5 of us and we dont feel comfortable driving ourselves. Does anyone know how long the ride is and if there is a train, bus etc. Does anyone know of a driver and the cost of that. Thanks for any help available. donna
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:40 PM
mjs

Three ways to get from Split to Dubrovnik. There is a ferry that takes about 8 hours. My schedule from last summer has the ferry leaving at 0630 and arrival Dubrovnik at 1440. Cost at E44 per person on deck.
The schedule is hard to read but I do not think the ferry goes every day. There might also be a somewhat quicker hydrofoil but I have no information on this.
There is also a bus that leaves every few hours every day. Takes about 4 and 1/2 hours.
Lastly driving once you find the highway is very easy and fast until you run into a slow lorry or tanker. We rented a Opel station wagon diesel for the day and my memory is that the drive was easy, scenic and took about 3 1/2 hours.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 10:42 PM

I'd take the bus. They are modern and inexpensive. The view is SPECTACULAR! It is best to be on the right side of the bus when going from Split to Dubrovnik, as you are on the ocean side and can see the wonderful towns at the bottom of the cliffs.

We couldn't bear to skip all of the fascinating cities and stopped at Omis, where we took a trip up the Catina river in a small boat and had lunch, then caught a later bus to Makarska, where we spent the night. Went on to Dubrovnik the next morning.

You will love Croatia.

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:29 AM

There is a web site for Split bus station (www.ak-split.hr) which shows 15 departures today from Split to Dubrovnik. The bus station is on the waterfront, next to the ferry terminal and railway station. There are ticket offices where you can buy tickets.
Jadrolinija's coastal ship runs twice weekly via Stari Grad (Hvar) and Korcula. I don't know the fare but it's a lot less than 44 euros.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Jadrolinija have a web site which Google can find you, with times and fares.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
coac

We took the bus which was inexpensive. The route is spectacular. If you decide to drive and if you have driven the Big Sur or Sonoma coastline, this drive will be a breeze.

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 02:36 PM

We took the bus last June between Dubrovnik and Split and it cost $21.50 for 2 tickets, including seat reservations. We prebought our tickets so we could be sure to get the bus of our choice, but we really didn't need to. Different companies drive the route, and some are better than others. Ours was just great, and had a few bathroom stops along the way.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:07 PM
mjs

I took another look at my summer 2006 Jadrolinija schedule and I think I read the wrong column as Rijeka-Dubrovnik is E31 so Split-Dubrovnik must be closer to E20 per person on deck. We only went Korcula-Split.