Dubrovnik to Split in 1 Day

May 8th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Dubrovnik to Split in 1 Day

We are staying in the old town in Dubrovnik (Gunduliceva Polijana). We need to get to Split for a 16:00 catamaran to Hvar. The options are bus or rental car. Has anyone rented a car in Dubrovnik? Is so, how do you pick up a car in the old town? Are there rental car companies at the Split port we can drop off? Any suggestions for rental car companies?

We are trying to avoid the bus if possible. If we do take the bus is station in Split near the port where the Jadrolinija catamarans sail? Can you easily catch a taxi in the old town where we are staying in Dubrovnik to the Dubrovnik bus station?

Thanks for any help you can provide.l
May 8th, 2014, 08:06 AM

I can't speak to car rental, but you should easily be able to grab a taxi (or the frequent bus) just outside Pile gate in Dubrovnik to the bus station. The bus to Split leaves practically hourly and takes about 4 hours. The bus station and ferry port are in the same spot in Split. If you get there early enough and want to explore Split, there is also a left luggage station ("garderoba").
Dubrovnik bus departures: http://www.libertasdubrovnik.com/voznired.pdf
A few different bus lines go to the station which is at the port in Gruz) in Dubrovnik--just ask at the tourist office if you don't see it listed somewhere.
May 10th, 2014, 10:12 AM

Just out of curiosity - is there any special reason for your trip to Split? There will be a new catamaran route this summer, connecting Dubrovnik and Hvar directly, so you might prefer that. It will sail only on Tuesdays and Thursdays though.

Regarding car rental, Oryx is the biggest local agency. Global companies have their offices in Croatia as well and everyone should have outlets in Split and Dubrovnik.
May 12th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Yorkshire and Travel11. Travel11, I am going to Split in order to catch a catamaran to Hvar. I have not heard of the new catamaran b/w Dubrovnik and Hvar. I will be traveling on Thurs. May 29 so I would love to take it instead of the bus. Do you have more information on this? Since I am traveling on May 29 this might not be considered to be on the Summer sailing schedule.
May 13th, 2014, 02:28 PM

Yes, that's it.
May 14th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Yorkshire and Travel11,

Thanks so much. This fits my schedule perfectly and allows me to avoid the bus and catamaran scenario. The info. is greatly appreciated.
May 18th, 2014, 11:05 AM

Travel11, I am going to Croatia in early October, so this information is great. I have been wondering if renting a car to travel within Croatia makes any sense, and it would appear that public (especially water-based) transportation might make the most sense. Would any/all of you agree?

Also, can you get off at each of the stops listed on the schedule (e.g., travel from Dubrovnik to Korcula on a Tuesday, get off there and stay two days, then catch the catamaran to Hvar on the Thursday? I assume there are other forms of water or ground transportation between some of these towns on days other than Tuesday and Thursday, is that correct?

Also, any recommendations on how many nights one would spend in each of the following: Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar and Split? Is there anything to see in Milna? Thanks very much in advance.
May 27th, 2014, 09:17 AM

Just to reply regarding Milna, very nice place like most small settlements and towns on Croatian coast and would be a great vacation destination, but there is nothing special to see comparing to more famous destinations in Dalmatia.
Jul 15th, 2014, 01:45 PM

jh6000, it has been a while, but you might find my reply useful.

Public transport can get you to most of the places easily, but keep in mind that you are going to Croatia in October, some ferries stop operating then and others don't sail that often as in July and August.

You can catch a bus between Dubrovnik and Korčula as well (http://eurolines.hr), so there are different combinations that you can make.

Car rental does make you more comfortable, but it's also a big expense, since it adds up a lot to the cost of ferry.