Split/Hvar/Dubrovnik assistance please!

Jun 5th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Split/Hvar/Dubrovnik assistance please!

We will be arriving by plane from NYC at Split Oct. 1 and need to be in Dubrovnik for business Oct. 3 for a week. Should be go to Hvar upon arrival for 2 nites or stay in Split for first nite and then bus on to Dubrovnik? We are not renting a car. Could use ferries as suggested on Fodors threads but concerned about time/jetlag. Any suggestions?
Jun 5th, 2004, 07:09 AM

A lot depends upon when on Oct. 3 you need to be in Dubrovnik. It it's early, there doesn't seem to be any choice but to stay one night in Split and spend your second day getting to Dubrovnik. If it's late you could spend two nights in Split, taking a day trip by boat to Hvar and returning on day 2 then using most of Oct. 3 to get to Dubrovnik. Split is a worthy destination. Stay near the old town (we liked the Park hotel at about 150 euros) and walk into the old town to see the sites for a day--or two. Ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik took about 7 hours. Not sure how much longer it is from Split, but it is very relaxing. Lovely scenery. Just goes very slowly. Bus takes some time though as well. The ferry site is www.jadrolinija.hr It is available in English. You will love Croatia. It's beautiful.
Jun 5th, 2004, 07:13 AM

The ferry leaves Split at 7 am and arrives in Dubrovnik at 4 pm. It goes from Split to Hvar to Korcula to Dubrovnik. It will not go daily in Oct. though, so you should check the schedules.
Jun 5th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JulieVikmanis and
Grasshopper for your help. Arriving on Oct. 3 anytime for meeting on 4th. Any idea of length of time by bus from Split to Dubrovnik? How about ideas for accomodations in Hvar? We arrive in Split in a.m. as well and thought about skipping Split, going straight to Hvar and then stop in Split (or other location???) on return trip on our way to Venice...again by bus/train. What do you think? Any ideas?
Jun 5th, 2004, 01:00 PM

Bugdoc (I'm still trying to figure out what kind of bugs need docs! I guess I should talk. )
Marktynernyc is the Hvar expert. I think he's traveling. But you should check out his www.virtualtourist.com Hvar pages. He gives great restaurant and hotel recommendations and has some photos that will send you packing!
Jun 6th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Grasshopper,
Bugdoc refers to my professional field of research - insects~including grasshoppers~ Entomology. Thanks for the tip for the link....found great, helpful information and beautiful pictures! Any thoughts on Venice or Vienna? We are including these in our 3 1/2 visit.
Jun 7th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Do you know where you're staying in Dubrovnik for a week? Are you interested in an apartment or just in a hotel? I ask because we're going next year and I've just done a lot of research on apartments which I'd be happy to share.
Jun 7th, 2004, 03:04 PM

The bus from Split is 4 hours, so if you don't want to spend all day on the ferry, take the bus. My ferry was also delayed due to bad weather, so you just don't ever know what will happen. One night in Split would be enough.