Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ring of Kerry or Beara Peninsula in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be staying in the Kenmare area for a couple of days in early August and were wondering if it makes more sense to tour the Beara Peninsula vs. the Ring of Kerry due to the anticipated crowds. Will we be sorry we skipped The "Ring"? Will Kenmare be overcrowded? We'll be driving in from Kinsale and driving out to Kilrush/Ennis area. Thanks for any feedback.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 08:48 AM

I'm not familiar with the Beara Penisula, but all the tour buses will be on the Ring of Kerry. I haven't heard anyone regret doing the Dingle Penisula and skipping the Ring of Kerry. It's as gorgeous and a lot less crowded. My Dingle pottery jug is sitting on my desk as a wonderful reminder of a fabulous trip!
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 08:57 AM

I probably would opt for Beara in August as it will be much, much less crowded. Beara is much more rugged and more isolated than the ROK, but I think it's just as beautiful. We traveled it in July and didn't run into one tour bus.

We also spent time in Kenmare in July. It was a busy town, but didn't feel 'overcrowded'. We also felt that it must be a weekend destination for people, as it was much busier then than it was during the week.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 09:23 AM

For a couple of days in Kenmare...
why do you have to choose?
A day for the Ring of Kerry.
A day for Beara Pen.
A day for Killarney National Park, Muckross House/Abbey/Ross Castle, etc.
We stayed in Kenmare and toured that area last June and traffic was not a problem.
You could always take a bus tour of the Ring if you didn't want to drive it.
The park, lakes, and Muckross House/Abbey/Ross Castle were a highlight for us.
(just FYI we did do Ring and Dingle Pen.; Dingle was by far our favorite! We were not impressed with Killarney=touristy/tacky, IMO)
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:11 AM

We did the Beara, Mizen and Dingle peninsulas. All were spectacular, and none were crowded during our time (we got back yesterday) I had reports that the ROK is a true hassle, and not necessary if you have your own car and are able to take yourselves to less crowded, but just as beautiful spots.

Kenmare was busy when we were there weekend of May 28 +29, but itwas a fun, "you are where the action is" buzz, not a "too jammmed to move and no place you can eat" crowded feel. We stayed at the Shelburne Lodge,a bit up from our usual B+B's but we were celebrating our annivesary there. Not sure what August will be like. One thing, I would check on parking if you are staying at a B&B right in the center of town. Looked like that could have been a major hassle.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 05:45 AM

Kenmare in August will be really busy. We had to drive around 2-3 times to find somewhere to park. There is a fair amount of traffic on the Ring of Kerry, but not impossibly so. There are some narrow, winding sections esp between Kenmare, Sneem and Waterville. Most tour buses do the Ring in anti-clockwise direction, so doing in the opposite direction will often avoid being stuck behind slow traffic.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:28 AM

I think that you should go the ROK route, if you haven't been before. Beara has a remote feeling to it with the Healy Pass and Eyeries being some highlights. In Eyeries, one of the pubs has a patio out back facing the bay and ROK. It is a pretty view especially on a nice day. ROK has the Skelligs, a classic fort near Sneem, Staigue, I think and Cahirciveen is a nice town with an old castle(very basic) across the inlet. There is also an interesting fort with underground passages, on the same road as the castle but closer to the town. Anyway, both are good choices. You could sample both, also.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice! What about touring Mizen during our drive from Kinsale to Kenmare? Is that too much driving in one day? Regarding the ROK, what time do the tour buses usually get started? If we start early in the morning can we get a good head start on them? Any recommended B&B's in Kenmare? Thanks, everyone!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Hi 16dog:

You could make it to Mizen Head from Kinsale and then on to Kenmare, but the way I travel, it would be a VERY long day. Then again, I stop way too much. There are some beautiful little towns along the southern coast which could tempt you. The drive from Mizen to Kenmare is beautiful with views of both mountains and sea along the way.

The only B&B that I've stayed at in Kenmare that I liked was the Harbour View just outside of town on the "ring of Beara" road. It's about a 5-10 minute drive into town. Nice with a beautiful view. I've also stayed at Tahilla Cove Guesthouse which is more expensive but very nice. It is closer to Sneem and has it's own little cove. Very peaceful location.

Harbour View can be found on the T&C website http://www.townandcountry.ie and Tahilla Cove can be found at: http://www.tahillacove.com/index.html.

Hope this is helpful

Bill