Theatre in London

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theatre in London

Can you recommend a show/play/musical in London? The 4 of us will be in London in May and would like something entertaining can you recommend one? Andrew Lloyd Weber? Has anyone seen the Alfred Hitchcock? We are in our 50's. Where can we get 2fers? We will be in London for 6 days in May. You guys are the best!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM

I could recommend a dozen shows but my tastes might be different than yours....

You can do some research at a variety of London theatre sites...various people will give you recommendatons here....Mary Poppins is suercalifragilisticexpiealidocious (sp?)...Billy Elliot is very entertaining and very British...if you like the music of Abba, you will love Mamma Mia, Guys and Dolls is a traditional revival as is the Sound of Music which I loved, Les Miserables is an old standby and discount tickets are almost always available.

You want to see what discounts are available, go to www.broadwaybox.com which has a link to London discounts.

On the day of the performance, you can go to Leicester Square tube station, walk up the pedestrian street to the little park where LeicesterSquare is...at the back of the park you will see a free standing structure with the letters t k t s where you can get 1/2 price tickets for many of the shows playing (although not necessarily some of the big musicals noted above)...no need to get up at the break of dawn; unlike the tkts in NYC, queues are very manageable...you will find a list of the shows available for that day and the queue moves very quickly...

The big shows I noted above (Mary Poppins, Billy Elliot) where there probably are not discount tickets available can be booked in advance by ringing the theatre (the numbers are on the various web sites) and you will be able to pick up the tickets the day of the performance...or you can go to booking agencies such as ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.co.uk) but you will pay a service charge...some of these charges are not terribly high others can be.

So if you let us know what you're interested in, others might be in a better position to help you...I just got back from London and spent the week of January 15 there from Monday to Friday, in 5 days I saw 7 shows (Les Miserables, Nixon/Frost, Sound of Music, Cabaret, Mary Poppins, Mamma Mia and the New Statesman and loved every single one of them. Average price was around 35 quid as it was a special week but many of these shows (not all) have discounts listed on Broadwaybox.com

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM

xyz123.. how was Nixon/frost? i had wanted to see it but thought my mom would enjoy "guys and dolls" more.

it is no longer there, i believe.

i loved "the producers".. funny, clever.. great acting and singing. very very well done.

we got half priced tickets at leicester square. lucky that day.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:15 PM

It was very interesting and enjoyable...actually I think it is gone now....walked over to the theatre that Tuesday afternoon when nothing appealed to me at TKTS and got a seat for £12.50...certainly was worth it.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone see We Will rock (something like that? Or Hitchcock?
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM

It's called We Will Rock You. The music of Queen. It has had good reviews from almost everyone who has seen it, but you have to like the music. Alas, I have not seen it. I saw Mamma Mia when I was in London and loved it. It's a bit of fluff, but frankly, that's what I'm looking for these days. Very fun.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:07 PM

We Will Rock You is sort of a science fiction -- set in the future -- camp story set up simply to use the music of Queen. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It really is great fun, but Mama Mia which does the same thing for the music of Abba (lacking the futuristic gimmick) is a lot more fun in my opinion.

I have no idea what you're referring to as "Alfred Hitchcock" although there was a small show in London called Alfred Hitchcock Blondes or something like that a few years ago.

Here's one of the best sites to fiddle with:
www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk

You can check all the shows playing when you're there by filling in dates. It shows what is currently on half price sale at the TKTS booth in Leicester Square, and lots more.

If you aren't big theatre people aiming for the biggest new show, I'd highly recommend Blood Brothers, which has been playing practically forever -- is so London -- and had rousing numbers as well as virtually guaranteeing a few tears. You can nearly always get half price tickets on the day of the show at the TKTS booth.