Reload this Page >

Spinning in Paris?

Search

Spinning in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Jennifer

Spinning in Paris?

I am traveling to Paris on vacation and would like to take a spinning class while I'm there. I will be staying at Hotel Sofitel Le Faubourg in the center of Paris. Does anyone know a good health club/gym in the city?

Old May 27th, 2001, 05:49 PM
xxxx

was going to answer but then I realized you weren't talking about fabrics! Just keep walking that should get you more tha enough exercise

Old May 27th, 2001, 11:24 PM
SharonM

lace? <BR> <BR>Go to Belgium?

Old May 27th, 2001, 11:31 PM
SharonM

Hey wait. <BR> <BR>You're not talking about that Steve Martin movie, are you? <BR> <BR>Spinning?

Old May 28th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Jennifer

Spinning is also known as cycling. Its a stationary bike class conducted, with energizing music, in the better health clubs/gyms. <BR> <BR>So, in other words, are there any quality health clubs in the center of Paris? Thanks!

Old May 29th, 2001, 12:44 AM
Lucy

Why don't you make the most of being a in a beautiful city & hire a bike & ride through parks or along the seine?

Old May 29th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Howard

Jennifer, you might try calling IHRSA which is an international association of health and fitness club owners. Tell them your problem. They might be able to help you. 800-228-4772. (They're located in Boston.)

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Jim

So I guess my stinky little YMCA is considered a "better" health club? Pretty much every health club in the U.S. has spinning these days, although why they had to give stationary cycling a different name, I'll never understand. <BR>

Old May 29th, 2001, 08:14 AM
tony

You might try: <BR>http://www.gymnaseclub.fr/ <BR>I do not anything about them.

Old May 29th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Vincent

Even though I agree with other posters that it's a bit silly to travel all the way to Paris to go to a gym class, let's try and be politically correct and not judgmental: Gymnase Club has got a virtual monopoly on the fitness industry within Paris (there must be fifteen odd clubs throughout the city). The closest ones to your hotel are Club des Champs, Maillot and Palais-Royal. Expect tons of attitude and spandex. More relaxed - and spacious ones - include Denfert Rochereau, Italie and Nation. The latter one is the only one where I have personnally seen these famous spinning classes.

Old May 29th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Jennifer

Thank you to all who realized that I am not traveling to Paris just to take a gym class, but merely want to have the option of working out a few mornings while I am there. <BR> <BR>J.

Old May 29th, 2001, 05:39 PM
anon

Jennifer, <BR>try a fast walk from the Marais to Eiffel tower, then walk up the stairs, then down, you'll never miss spinning

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:28 AM
Fred

Here are two gyms with exercise equipment (whatever that is - I've had no relationship with excercise equipment). <BR>Club Quartier Latin <BR>19 rue de Pontoise, 5th <BR>Metro: Maubert Mutualite <BR>30-meter skylighted pool, a climbing wall, squash courts, exercise equipment <BR>70FF per day, 75FF squash/per hour <BR> <BR>Espace Vit-Halles <BR>48 rue Rambuteau, 3rd <BR>Metro: Les Halles <BR>broad range of aerobics classes 100FF p/class, exercise machines, sauna, steam bath <BR>For more Paris information e-mail me - [email protected]

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 04:36 PM
Sue

I gave up looking for a gym and went running in the Luxembourg Gardens (while my husband surfed the web at the internet cafe next door.) I think I figured that once around is about 1-1/4 mile.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Randall Smith

For what it's worth. <BR> <BR>I would vote for walking, running, bicycling, and possibly roller-blading. Why excersise inside in Paris?? <BR> <BR>Places to walk - EVERYWHERE. <BR> <BR>Places to run: <BR> <BR>1)Along the banks of the Seine. <BR> <BR>2)Le Jardins des Plantes in the 5th. <BR> <BR>3)The Promenade Plantée just up from the new Bastille Opera(A converted, elevated railroad trestle) <BR> <BR>4)The Jardin du Luxembourg. <BR> <BR>5) The Bois de Boulogne and the Bois de Vincennes. <BR> <BR>6)The bike paths on the streets of Paris (BE CAREFULL!!) <BR> <BR>Biking: <BR> <BR>There are many paths especially for biker and marked accordingly, however this could be hazardous to your health. I think that they are up to about 140 kilometers of marked paths. <BR> <BR>Roller-Bladding: <BR> <BR>Every Friday night starting at about 9:30 - 10:00, there is an organized excursion through the streets of Paris, usually 5000+ roller-bladers and bikers. You will need to be pretty good on roller-blades. They even have their own web-site: Paris Roller: <BR>http://www.pari-roller.com/ <BR> <BR>Ciao, <BR> <BR>Randy Smith

Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jennifer!!!
I´m travelling to Paris on september the 1st. and will be staying for almost 2 months... i´m looking for exactly the same: spinning classes... Were you lucky finding them? Please, if you have any info and you can tell me i would appreciate it a lot.
hope you had a great time in paris!
best wishes,
natalia
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:58 AM

Natalia - You do realize that this thread is 10 years old.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 03:48 AM
ira

>let's try and be politically correct and not judgmental:<

And so the OP will be left wandering in a fog of ignorance, thinking that traveling a few thousand miles to one of the most interesting cities in the world is a good way to get some exercise on a stationary bike while listening to raucous music played at high volume.

Wouldn't it be kinder to just shoot her?

Old Jul 10th, 2011, 03:50 AM
ira

Hey J,

Google "Velib Paris"
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 04:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
wouldn't this be the sort of info that a hotel ought to have?