Special gifts to Bring Back from Prague

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:54 AM
bobbie

Special gifts to Bring Back from Prague

My dad, age 85, will be visiting my brother who lives in Prague and Dad has offered to bring me back a gift. Never having been there, I don't know what to ask for. I would prefer that it be fairly easy for him to find and not too heavy and not too large not not a typical "tourist" item, read keychain. Any suggestions?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:30 AM
kelly

Something from Moser Crystal. Best crystal house in Prague, easy to find (off of Wenceslas Square), excellent quality and sure to become a family heirloom. It is expensive but you can always get something small like a beautiful jewel coloured candy dish (we bough two small dishes to be used as salt cellars or for sauces such as horseradish). If money isn't a concern their wine goblets are exquisite.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Chris

You can get a garnet and silver ring for about $20 (very simple, one largish stone in a swirl of silver is what mine looks like). A small cut crystal vase for about $10 (they tend to be a little, um, "busy" but the "authenticity factor" outweighed my usual taste for simplicity).

There are TONS of jewelers and TONS of crystal stores -- your dad can't miss them. All he has to do is fall in and point to something. Really.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Barry

bobbie -

Definitely Bohemian crystal... there are shops all thru the old town area and up and down Wenceslas Square ... so he definitly won't have to LOOK!

Barry

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Christina

I agree with the above. Garnet jewelry is very cheap so earrings plus necklace is not that expensive (I paid $20-35 for earrings, silver to gold setting; about same for nice simple necklace with a few small stones, gold setting). Of course, I wouldn't necessarily like the taste of my father in jewelry, that is a problem, perhaps. Crystal and garnet are readily available everywhere. Wine glasses and vases, etc (although more trouble to carry, that's true); I also bought a lovely small crystal bell. Aside from that, there seem to be a lot of handpainted eggs and eggholders (common in lots of countries in that area), which can be quite pretty. Oh, yeah, they have lots of those nesting dolls, also, if you like those (I think of them as Russian). Go for the jewels, just try to describe your taste (a lot of it was not as simple as I would have liked, it was beautiful but not what I would wear in my normal life).

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Leslie

If you don't want to pay the high dollars for crystal at Moser, I suggest going to Crystalex which is very close to the Astrological Clock just outside the Old Town Square. It is across from the Rott Restaurant. Crystalex has beautiful crystal items, at very reasonable prices. I suggest a crystal atomizer.

Also, there is a Moser shop in the Old Town Square.

The garnets are beautiful, but if you do want either a ring or earrings, tell your Dad whether you prefer a classic style or contemporary style. Your Dad can't go wrong if he just buys you garnet stud earrings.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Julie

The Czechs have a stone that is like no other on earth. It's olive green and bumpy but makes into very pretty jewelry with silver. I'm sorry that I cannot remember the name of it--something --ite. It was supposedly formed by a meteor that hit the earth in an area near Cesky Krumlov. The airport has displays. It's not as available in Prague as in Cesky Krumlov, of course, but I found it prettier and much more unique than garnets. It also doesn't lend itself to being cut up too fine so it can't be made into things that are too frou, frou, which I get the impression you are trying to avoid. Can anyone else name this stone?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Sandy

Have him pick up the handpainted eggs, which are beautiful and inexpensive--The yolks are blown out and the eggshells painted with extraordinary, intricate geometric designs. I love just looking at mine. Also, there is a folk art form that uses colored foil to make small, eye-catching replicas of buildings, a technique I haven't seen elsewhere. If you like folk art, you'd like either of these items.
Sandy

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:21 AM
bobbie

Thanks for all the suggestions. Rather than sound greedy I think I will suggest his getting the garnet stud earrings for my birthday and a crystal vase or wine glass for Christmas. He loves to get all his shopping done by thanksgiving so here he will be far ahead of the mark!