Tourism in Britain 2002

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Elizabeth

Tourism in Britain 2002

1. Do you think tourism in Britain is at normal levels this May? Is it hard to get accommodations at this point?

2. When is the Queen's Jubilee? (I assume this will not be a good time for last-minute plans, though I'm sure I'd enjoy being there for it)

3.Can Sissinghurst and Dixter House be visited as nice day-trips from London?

I'll appreciate answers to any and all of these questions.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Judy

It is easy to visit Sissinghurst from London, short train ride from Victoria to Maidstone, hourly bus to Hastings stop at Sissinghurst village(about 20 minutes),15 minutes walk by footpath through bluebell woods to the garden.

I am afraid I can't help with Great Dixter, as I visited it from Hastings,there are regular buses to Northiam (the village near the garden)from Hastings.Probably you would be able to hire a cab from Sissinghurst to Great Dixter, since it is not too far.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:32 PM
AnnaC

I believe that tourism levels in Britain are now pretty much back to normal after last year's double whammy of Foot and Mouth and then September 11th - I saw something about it on TV the other day. I'm sure you can still get accommodation for May as this is not peak season, but you may be restricted in your choice.

The holiday weekend for the Queen's Jubilee is the first weekend in June - both the Monday and Tuesday are national holidays, so that weekend will inevitably be busy as many British people will be taking the opportunity to get away for a long weekend. Events are not just happening that weekend, but I doubt that anything will be noticeably busier at any other time, except in isolated spots where events are taking place.

I'm afraid I can't help you with question number 3, having never been to either place.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Elizabeth

Thank you for the great answers so far. I've gone on with research now and found nice-sounding day trips to Sissinghurst and Great Dixter, which will suit us very well I think.

If anyone has familiarity with garden-oriented day trips I'll also like to hear about that. I am seeing we can have a nice garden-y week from a base in London.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:44 AM
andrew

Don't know if you are hiring a car but if you are and you enjoy gardens you may enjoy "The Gardens of the Rose" near Watford in Hertfordshire which is especially devoted to different types of Rose. You could also tie this up with a trip to the Roman town of St Albans and the public park with Roman remains called Verulamium. About a 1 hour car drive from London.

One of the showpiece gardens in the South East is that owned by the Royal Horticultural Society at Wisley in Surrey which would be beautiful in May.
Again this though would be a 1 hour car drive

A more touristy spot which would be easier to access without a car is Leeds Castle in Kent where you can easily get a coach tour. The gardens there are well worth seeing.

Hope some of these ideas may help
Andrew

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Elizabeth

Andrew thank you for the suggestions.
Two questions--do you think it would be impossible to get to Wisley by train or something? I'll look around for a daytrip there in any event.

Second question, it's a bit early for roses May 21-28, right? It is here (New York).

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:15 AM
andrew

Elizabeth

In answer to your questionsBR>
1. If you want to use public transport to get to Wisley probably your best bet would be to go to Woking station (London Waterloo is the London station you need to go to get there) and then get a taxi to Wisley

2. Over roses I admit I'm not the biggest expert over timing but late May is the time of the Chelsea Flower show and there are lots of roses around there. Plus we have had a very mild winter and a lot of flowers have been blooming almost a month earlier than usual so I imagine you might be in luck

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:36 AM
David White

Here's a great resource for finding gardens (the Royal Horticultural Society website):

http://www.rhs.org.uk

Enjoy!

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Ruth

Don't miss Kew Gardens either!