Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will I see Tuscans jogging or power walking early in the morning?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Roco

I will be in Tuscany in the small, thermal spa town of Montecantini for a week early in November. If all goes well (like no jet lag or hangovers), I plan to power walk early each morning since I do walk 7 mornings each and every week in my temperate climate in the USA.

Will I be stared at, or will there be anyone to stare at me at that hour. I understand from the tour guide that it is a very quiet town with a minimum of traffic.

Possibly, I could be convinced by your answers to find better things to do at that hour for that week.....however, I've gotta shake off the pasta and gelato don't I??

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:16 PM
susan

My husband and I were in Montecantini, and I think we were the only people within the city limits under the age of 80. There aren't many people there who would be able to jog or even walk. Go ahead and jog or whatever. Just be careful not to trip over the wheelchairs and walkers.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:21 PM
GetAGrip

Let me get this straight - you're feeling insecure about walking quickly in public? Maybe you should stay home.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:52 PM
jodi

Dear Get a Grip,

Read the replies to my post on the United States Forum entitled:

"WHY SO MEAN?????"

You do know WHO I MEAN!

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:34 AM
jeff

Saw people in other countries jogging, but haven't been to Italy. I'd say to go for it.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Wondering

Jodi -

I actually thought this might be a troll when I read it - didn't you? I find it hard to believe that someone who power walks EVERY SINGLE DAY could be concerned about walking in a new place. Maybe there is something about the question that I'm missing.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Please

Roco -

Are you actually going to give up your walk if some goofs here tell you, "Oh yes, everyone will stare. Wear black, keep your head down, and DO NOT go for your morning walk."?

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 10:25 AM
another

Why don't you try hiking or long walks? or even biking? Sounds like a great place for it. You can still get lots of exercise and not feel funny about it. If you're only going for a week, changing your exercise routine actually might be beneficial for you. It will change the muscles you're using a little. Have a great time.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 05:30 PM
DJ

Hi. My daughter and I spent a week in Montecatini last April (just a year ago) and just loved it.
Also took time out for a massage at one of the spa.s. I walk 3 miles every day, although not with the power posture but certainly no one is going to worry about it and it is a wonderful town. Hope you also get up to Montecatini Alto and we walked back down the hill rather than taking the tram (it was quite a challenge (rocky) but well worth it. Great place and have fun. No one is going to stare at you. DJ

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 05:48 PM
X

Roco -

Could you be more specific about what your actual concern is?

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:36 PM
xxx

Have we figured out yet that Roco was a troll. Come on folks, worried about what people will think when they see him walking in the morning???

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:24 PM
roco

Thank you--those of you have gave me input on the small town of Montecatini. I am already aware of Alto and will definitely walk down the hill --better than UP!

No--not a troll, a 65 year old female who even feels silly (take it as you wish) when I go out too late in the morning at home and more people wonder why that woman is walking like "that".

Apparently, I didn't word the question properly. I just really want to know if Italians "exercise" early in the morning. This is my first trip to Europe--a tour. I will be on a bus with the masses each and every day after breakfast, and need to MOVE first.

Maybe you would be kind enough just to mention whether, in your travels, you have seen the townspeople (rather than tourists) jogging or walking for health. Probably they walk to and fro so much (unlike us in the U.S.A), that they do not need to add extra miles.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 04:57 PM
P

Roco -

Don't worry - I'm a long distance runner who spent a fair amount of living in Italy, and never once experienced what you's describing. I find it to be MUCH more of an issue here in Chicago with U.S. tourists and suburbanites down at the lake or Wrigley Field for the day - gawking, refusing to make ANY room on the sidewalk etc - some act like they've never seen a runner as they're on their way to a ballgame or Navy Pier. People in Italy seem to be much better about minding their own business.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:31 PM

Go to Runnersworld.com and post under one of the forums (beginners is where you'll get nice friendly replies, but marathon, masters or women would be good too) you should get tons of responses from people who have walked or run abroad.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:55 AM
andiamo

Roco,

Can't provide input re: Montecatini as I've not been to that town. My experience with other cities in Italy is that many people are out early in morning (7am) walking to work or to the market. Walking is a part of life there --- amazingly enough, they actually use their feet to get to places ! You won't see as many power walkers or joggers as in USA. Nevertheless, you won't be the first American that they've seen trekking down the sidewalk. You'll have no problems. Enjoy.