Luxury shopping in Prague.

Sep 30th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Luxury shopping in Prague.

Is there shopping such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Gucci, etc... in Prague? What is a good value find?
Sep 30th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Intrepid

The main thing I have shopped for in Prague (and in some of the smaller cities in the Czech Rep. is Czech glass) which is much more reasonably priced there than getting it in the US. However, if this appeals to you, be aware that even though you can have larger pieces shipped home (insured) sometimes the shipping will wipe out the cost savings. I am sure others who have visited can comment on the specific stores you've asked about.

Sep 30th, 2003, 01:28 PM

Well, of course there is, but why do you want to shop for that in Prague? Prague is a sophisticated major city, they have designer goods. For simple one-stop shopping with a lot of choice, good atmosphere and good prices, I like Kotva dept. store near Namesti Republicky metro stop. They have all kinds of boutique areas and price points and do have some expensive designer goods and a good food selection on ground floor and great internet cafe.

If you want more elegant area, like Champs-Elysees (only better, actually, not as tacky as that is), that would be Paris Street (Parizska) -- there are plenty of designer stores along there, along with airlines, some upscale cafes and restaurants, gift shops, etc. This street runs north-ish from Old Town Square, you can't miss it. Is it worth walking along to window shop, anyway.

Good value would be Czech specialties, such as garnet jewelry and crystal.
Sep 30th, 2003, 03:06 PM

There are lots of designer stores in Prague, but I don't think you'll find any of the real high end brands/items much cheaper than anywhere else. Many of the women there seem to carry great copies of designer bags. You might find some killer deals on those! A neat shopping mall opened earlier this year at the Flora metro stop. I found the clothes that were on sale there to be very reasonably priced, and they were good quality European brands. There is also some kind of outlet mall that opened on the Czech/Austrian border, but I wouldn't go out of my way to treck there.. The most tempting high end item I saw in Prague this summer was beautiful lace jewelry (about $1,000 for a set). That store was right in the Old Town Square, facing the Jan Hus monument. Also, I got some great oil paintings by a contemporary Russian artist at a gallery on Nerudova. Happy shopping!
Sep 30th, 2003, 05:24 PM

Old Town Square and the street from there to the Intercontinental Hotel by the river has high end--saw louis vuitton. However, I don't know if the value is any better there. Look at the Moser glass--it is IMO beautiful and contains no lead. Royalty buys huge sets but I only got six wonderful glasses. They have colored decanters and lots of things. There is a "factory" store in Prague and another store right across from the clock tower that has it.
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:57 AM

Just back from 4 nights in Prague. I came across a wonderful glass store that looked interesting. The glass works were great, but in the back of the store they had Pashmina 100% cashmere scarves/shalls for about $35 US. Saw the same item in Vienna a few days later for over $200. Didn't buy any, big mistake. Store is: Praha Rainbow, Siroka 11.

Search this Thread