Special Dinner in Rome

Apr 24th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Special Dinner in Rome

My boyfriend and I are budget travellers (new college grads, so obviously), but we would like to spend a decent amount for one special dinner in Rome. We will be there from a Wednesday to a Saturday the first week of June.

We would like to go somewhere with a nice view and perhaps a bit of history? Also Italian food... we love it in the States so we are assuming we would love it in Italy. Price range is around 50 Euros per person hopefully inclusive of a glass or two of wine each. I know it isn't much, but we are hoping for some reccommendations... also please let me know if you think we should make reservations in advance...

By the way we are staying near the Vatican not that we need to eat in that area but if anyone knows of places near there that fit the bill, all the better.
Apr 24th, 2006, 08:53 AM

For 100 Euros, you can eat well in just about any restaurant in Rome except for maybe La Pergola at the Hilton. Unfortuantely, most restaurants with "views" are on the top floors of hotels. I haven't found one that has food worth the price. I guess I if I had to pick one, it might be the restaurant at the Hotel Forum, which has a spectacular view of the Colosseum and Forum. Camponseschi is one of my favorites. It is located in the very picturesque and romantic Piazza Farnese. As for history, the Palazzo Farnese is now the French Emabassy but is also a setting in Puccini's opera "Tosca." Reservations needed. Vecchia Roma has a lovely patio in a quiet piazza set in the medieval buildings of the Ghetto.
Apr 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Don't go for a "view" -- especially not at Hotel Forum. Go for good food and atmosphere. A lot of the best food is located in little restaurants inside buildings so old you feel like you are in a cave, and owned by people who are warm and friendly.

Some of Rome's most atmospheric neighborhoods are in Trastevere, near Portico D'Ottavia, near the Pantheon and on the streets behind the Piazza Navona. Pick one where you can walk back to your hotel easily after dinner.

Apr 24th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

I guess a view isn't really that important... more important is just that it feels somewhat "special" or "intimate." I am not talking about the Ritz or anything, but just good service and hopefully not tour buses full of people. Not that I hate my fellow tourist (bus or not) I just want one night that is a little more upscale...

Oh and good food is a must... although I am allergic to seafood, but most places have other options.
Apr 24th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Last month I had a meal in "Il Matriciano" restaurant near the Vatican - it was excellent, typical Roman food, price was €30 per person but there were 10 of us so for a smaller group the price will probably be a little more per person.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute....0&tu=1&fsrc=1&
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Roman restaurants generally do not specialize in seafood, but because you are allergic to seafood, you should take a card with you that says so, in Italian, and give it to the waiter when you order. Sometimes things will be in sauces that you would never guess from looking at the menu.

I'm sure if you do a google search for "romantic restaurants rome" you will come up with choices and you can find one like in your price range, maybe quite near your hotel or someplace else you want to be.