Search

Spanish cities

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spanish cities

Hi,

I am going to be in Spain we are flying in and out of Madrid. We have 3 days in spain (fri-sun) then we are going to italy and then we have two days(fri, sat) in spain again. I definitely plan on being in madrid sunday for the rastro. I was thinking of going to Sevilla and Cordoba the first two days using the ave. I was then going to take a day trip to Avila the next weekend. I have been to Barcelona, Toledo and Segovia. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to go, or do you think my choices are a nice mix?

Thanks for any advice
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 05:23 AM

Have you been to Madrid before? That is worth three days.

And have you factored into your schedule packing time, waiting in train stations, cabs, etc for jumping to so many cities in such a short period of time?

The rastro has everything from pure junk to some nice handmade jewelry. My favorite place was a blanket covered in bras and watching the women throw the bras around looking for one they liked.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM

Wow!Quite an ambitious/impossible plan int the time period!
Rastro = junk,crowds & pickpockets!
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM

I agree with Adu. All that packing/travel/waiting time would considerably whittle down your actual enjoyment of the city. I think it's kind of a crazy plan.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 10:26 AM

The AVE train service from Madrid to Córdoba or Sevilla is brilliant. You are there in no time without any stress.

I would nevertheless go for either Córdoba or Sevilla. Most people would probably suggest Sevilla, but Córdoba is a fascinating city as well and some 50 mins less on the train (1h 35mins from Madrid). The "other" Córdoba around Plaza las Tendillas, the Plaza Mayor-like Plaza de la Corredera, the Roman ruins etc can be highly recommended. All very close to the main tourist attractions but a totally different and more local atmosphere.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Your plan is a horrendous mix--- why are you even considering Madrid as a home base if you are not planning to do anything nowhere near....? There are "junk" markets all over Spain, you don't have to go to Madrid to go to one...
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Madrid is the home base because I have friends that live there that I am planning to visit. I have spent a considerable time in Madrid and would like to show it to my husband. These were just ideas I have been playing around with. I am thinking Maybe one other city and Madrid. I am going to leave most of our luggage with friends in Spain.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:36 AM

I repeat, going from Madrid to Córdoba or Sevilla for a couple of days using the high speed AVE train sounds like a very good idea.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Kimhe. I am going to look more into that and i think that will be ideal. I dont mind traveling 2 hours to get to a city. Thank you for your advice.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:30 PM
kja

I think Sevilla and Cordoba (not to mention other parts of Andalusia) deserve more time than you have to spare - for comparison, I spent about 3 days in Sevilla (and would have liked more) and 2 days in Cordoba (which seemed about right to me).

Have you considered Salamanca? I think 2 days is about perfect for it.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:43 PM

Sounds like you know what you want, not sure what "advice" you are looking for.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 07:01 AM

Spend 2 nights in Seville, skip cordoba this time.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

I have considered Salamanca but I am really longing to see the south of Spain as I hear it is very lively and a different experience.
I was thinking of just staying in Seville after checking around some sights. Thanks!
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 04:21 AM

Listen to the excellent, short , but excellent advice given by chapia and viajero2, meaning do not waste your time in Madrid going to el Rastro.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 04:35 AM

Here is an excerpt from a trip report of mine reagrding the Rastro. It all depends on your perspective.

I am standing next to a framed poster of a toilet system. Sunday morning at El Rastro, an outdoor flea market, finds possibly a thousand vendors, that weaves in and around an area near the Plaza Mayor. It is the grandeur of junk, an old fashioned diving bell helmet sits on the ground waiting to be purchased and the pure practicality of inexpensive clothing, and the same sophomoric T-shirt humor found in English, now available in Spanish-Sex Instructor-First Lesson Free. Ramones T-shirts were also on sale at more than one stand.
You hear the gravelly voice of old Spanish men and women; others look like Uncle Junior, while the tragically hip look for the de rigor sunglasses. The tradition of El Rastro is 500 hundred years old and I think one of the original vendors is still selling socks.
It has a reputation for pickpockets which is countered by a large police presence.
Also on Sunday morning philatelists and numismatists gather at the Plaza Mayor where maybe 50 vendors sell stamps, money, and coins. There were a number of envelopes (called covers in English and sobres in Spanish) which were stamped censored after the Spanish Civil War. There were also mourning covers, bordered in black, which were sent in sympathy before stamps were used.
Seeking sanctuary I stopped in the Church of San Isidro, the patron saint of Madrid. It has beautiful terra cotta statuary and the reliquary of the saint and his wife. I am always skeptical of who is buried where. I was also curious who is attending Mass. No surprise the vast majority where over 55.
Had a decent meal behind the Plaza Mayor, with a very good gazpacho. When you are in the Plaza there is a statue. Follow the horse's behind and make a left.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 04:46 AM

What I did not include in the trip report, and I am not sure why, was this wonderfuly chaotic scene of a woman selling bras. A huge blanket lie on the ground covered with bras. Madrileñas, stooping over, tossed bras sideways and up in the air, looking for the perfect cheap bra. There is theater where you find it.

The Spanish are advising against the Rastro because it does not represent the best of Spain, which of course true, but it is much of Madrid as the Prado and El Retiro.