Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommend 3-day itinerary from Jerez, Spain

Aug 11th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

I will be near Rota and Jerez, Spain for a week on business first week of October (flying in via Madrid on the first weekend) and want to tack on ~ 3 days for sightseeing.
What would you recommend for either day trips or drive from Jerez to destinations close by.
There is an option to return from another city rather than Jerez (e.g. return from Sevilla or Malaga) if that would open up better options for sight-seeing.
I will have a car in Jerez.

On the incoming leg, I will be making a connection via Madrid en route to Jerez.
Would I be wiser to spend an extra weekend day in the Jerez area on the front end, or spend a day in Madrid?

I've never been to Spain so it will all be new for me.
Aug 11th, 2012, 08:59 PM

Definitely take a short train ride to Puerto de Santa Maria-love that small beach town and loaded with sherry bodegas!There's also a small boat ferry ride that takes you to Cadiz!
Aug 11th, 2012, 09:32 PM

Would definitely choose another location to spend three extra days; either Sevilla or Granada. If Sevilla, then day trip to Cordoba. You would not need or want a car for Sevilla & Cordoba - easy by train. You might for Granada.

Second chapla's opinion of Puerto de Santa Maria.

If you do have a car during the work week, the town of Sanlucar, west of Jerez has a lovely beach and super nice central plaza. It is a great place to spend an evening eating tapas and watching local families enjoy time together.

You could make a quick trip to Arcos or Ronda. If you have time in Madrid, you could visit Toledo - by train.
Aug 12th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Sassafrass and Chapla,
Thank you for the quick replies.

If I spend a day in/around Madrid, do you think the day trip to Toledo would be preferable to sightseeing around Madrid?
Is Toledo a full day excursion?
Aug 12th, 2012, 01:16 AM

Madrid is fantastic (museums, food, nightlife, parks) and Sevilla is easily the queen og all Spanish cities. Very different sizes and in most other ways, would be a great intro to a very diverse country. I would definitelt try to add time to these to cities instead of doing any kind of daytrips.

Always updated on Madrid: http://www.esmadrid.com/en/portal.do
Sevilla: http://www.andalucia.com/cities/sevilla.htm
http://www.exploreseville.com/
Aug 12th, 2012, 02:44 AM

>>>Madrid is fantastic (museums, food, nightlife, parks) and Sevilla is easily the queen og all Spanish cities.<<<

kimhe hit the nail on the head.

However, if you have a car drive to Sevilla via Arcos de la Frontera in order to see something of scenery and a white mountain town. From Sevilla, I recommend the short drive to Carmona too.

If you want to drive to Cape Trafalgar from Jerez look into Vejer de la Frontera, another white town.
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:40 AM

I havent been but intend to go to this area - I always thought Sanlucar was the place to visit (but I might be wrong)I read that is has tapas bars all along the river abnd you get a boat upriver to a national park which is nice to visit ..... any views?
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:25 AM

We spent several days exploring the area, taking day trips, for sherry tasting, on the train from Jerez to Porto Real, Santa Maria and Sanlúcar (w/lunch on the beach in March), and then an afternoon in Cadiz, with a stop for lunch Restaurante El Faro (reservations recommended).

Forget the car!
Aug 20th, 2012, 04:13 AM

I live in Malaga-so naturally I would recommend this region..! Take a train trip from Alceciras to Ronda.. or even to Granada. This is a spectacular train journey through the mountainous Ronda valley.. stopping at some pretty whiter villages enroute. More info here
www.thewhitevillage.com

Granada- the Alhambra palace
Malaga-Picasso Museum
Marbella-Puerto Banus. The jet- setters paradise with luxury super yachts/cars

We also offer a beachfront apartment to rent in Estepona, should you be interested- weekend stays welcome.
www.golf-beachrentalspain.co.uk

Enjoy your trip!