Search

Spain with baby

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain with baby

I have a tall order for some one to help me out with.
My wife and I decided that early next September we will take our 10 month old (she will be born in November ) to Spain for a 2 week trip.
We are Rick Steves tour fans but need more personalized advice since we'll have baby in tote.
We have a couple of caveats:
1) We are seasoned travelers and have no problem moving place to place every couple days
2) We want to see coastal Spain, beaches, sun and warmth
3) Safety is our top priority
4)We will probably be back to Spain without child some day so we don't have to go to all the TOP SITES this trip.
5) We must fly to and from a major hub like Barcelona or Madrid. I would prefer no car and just train.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 10:39 AM

From Barcelona there are a few places that come to mind.. we did not visit Girona ..but have heard only good about it.. we jumped on a bus from Barcelona and went to Tossa De Mar..which to us was paradise.. small( no Starbucks or McDonalds) but plenty of small restaurants and hotels.. mostly family run. Nice beach, and the view of the 13th century ramparts on the hill overlooking the bay are gorgeous.. you can easily walk up there too.
We spent 5 days there and loved it.. but you could make it a stop , visiting Girona ( there is a bus connection) and Lloret De Mar for a larger ( but still small city ) experience.

PS... YOU may be experienced travellers,, but it will be a lot different with a baby.. who is not experienced and does not give a rats patootie about your schedule.. lol Good luck! I advise you to take it slow.. no one or two night stops.. each time baby has to get used to new sleeping environment etc.. could be harry.. but you will already have figured out some of this by then as when baby arrives you will discover his or her temperament.. they are all different, even with same parents and same environment( I had three.. one was GREAT traveller.. one ok.. and one was hell.. )
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 05:11 PM

Well Madrid is in the middle of Spain on a high plateau - so beaches are not going to happen.

There are many beach towns - as well as great sightseeing - in Andalusia - but I would not take an infant there in Sept - it's just way too hot - often 100 degrees.

Looks like Barcelona is an option - or visit San Sebastian and other places n the Atlantic coast - the place where Spaniards who can afford it go to get away from the worst of the heat.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 02:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As the guys above say, Barcelona or the Atlantic coast. If you don't want a car then Barcelona is the obvious solution
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 08:05 AM

Good for you going for it with your baby! I say start them early. We've done that with both of our kids and actually took our 2 and 4 year old to Spain for 3 1/2 weeks in May and we are so glad we did. Our kids loved it. Spain is so baby/kid friendly too. I would also suggest Barcelona and then maybe do day trips. We went to a couple of beaches in Barcelona and also took a day trip to Sitges which isn't a very long train ride from Barcelona. I would recommend Sitges for sure. We loved the beach there and the town. Good luck!