Spain was not scary

Search

Spain was not scary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain was not scary

This forum has been an invaluable resource to me for many years, but as I was planning my recent trip to Spain some of the posts hinted that Spain was a little bit...scary. The thieves, the tire schemes, the pick-pockets.
I am happy to report that after spending much time in Madrid-including riding the Metro and hanging out at the Retiro in the evening- I, nor any of my traveling companions were robbed, bothered, or swindled.
Granted, the police presence in central Madrid was like the superbowl security last February here on Miami Beach, but I felt just as safe-if not safer-than I do in my hometown.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 06:44 AM

So glad you enjoyed Madrid simplicitas, its one of my favourite cities in the world!

I agree that people can be a little OTT, but better safe than sorry. I've travelled the world and the only place I had my handbag pinched was two miles from home!! Dropped my guard: lesson there for us all.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 07:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
People get weirded out by 'safety' issues when they travel. It is nice whenever someone can contradict those who claim that attack and/or robbery is a sure thing.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 08:33 AM

I don't believe anyone has ever posted on Fodor's that "attack and/or robbery is a sure thing" in Spain or anywhere in Europe.

Many travelers, to Spain in particular, have come back to Fodor's to thank posters for advice about crime, because they saw it happen to others, and felt the advice they had received had protected them from being victims.

There are a number of people who post on Fodor's who are commercially involved in travel to Europe -- either as rental landlords, trip planners or other tourist-related business. They feel threatened by candid discussions of how people can have their long-anticipated trips ruined by pickpockets, and they mock anybody who posts sensible advice about protecting YOUR TRIP. (Other people have a need to feel superior about the most trivial things.)

Regarding FEELING SAFE IN SPAIN and in other tourist destinations: It has been posted many times, but it is worth posting again:

Every pickpocket does all he or she can to make you feel safe. It is always nice to feel safe in Europe and you ARE safer in Europe than you are in America. But if you are in a place where tourist crowds are known to go, your wallet may not be safe even if you are. Given the hassle and emotional impact of cancelling credit cards or replacing a passport or losing significant money, you should ignore those who want to laugh at you for making your valuables extra secure while in tourist zones as a traveler.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Once more I agree with zeppole. Better be safe than sorry, also be aware of those people that act like explorers , they might get close to your cafe table selling something or with any excuse,
May be offering to shine your shoes? ....they are "exploring " preparing the hit.

Sometimes in other cities they drive motorcycles and check cars with purses in an accessible site.
A couple of red lights later you might feel the pain.

Are these reasons not to travel>? Of course not, but it should be known and tourists should
be alert no matter were you are going.

I am sure there so many other things that I should know and do not so I shall be always grateful to those in this forum who take the trouble to teach me. Thank you
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM

Bingo - be aware WHEREVER you are.

A close friend of mine just had her purse stolen from the shopping cart in the parking lot of her local supermarket. She was transferring bags from the front of the cart into her trunk and had left her purse on the cart's kiddie seat. A youth just ran by grabbed it and kept going - over into the next aisle and hopped into a waiting car.

If you're careless it can catch up with you anywhere.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Yes of course it happens wherever you are, not just Spain, not just Europe. Take it from me, an X banker who has seen lots of robberies waiting to happen in the produce aisle with purses wide open in shopping carts...bad guys are constantly scoping you out at the local supermarket, mall, fireworks show, county fair ...anyplace.

But fear cannot overtake my life, I am watchful, informed and prudent. By being used to taking certain precautions as part of "regular life" a trip need not be frightening. But then again, I am not one of those people that leaves my car keys in my unlocked car just because I live in one of the safest cities in the USA either. Got to use common sense.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Yes, be careful whether you are across the ocean or across the street. There have been, however; multiple posts specifically pertaining to robbery in Spain. By my post,I was hoping to hearten those well-informed and well-prepared travelers that I had a good experience rather than a bad one.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM

Have you ever considered that the reason Europe is highlighted so much is that the majority of members are Americans and Europe is a long way away?

May be I'm blasé about Europe as its my home turf, I have to say I get worried about visiting America and Russia. Probably more about guns than pick pockets but the background uneasiness is still there.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM

I kept reading last year about pickpockets in Naples and at the Termini station in Rome. And by golly, there they were when we got there. They are so obvious they should wear name tags.

But thinking about the pickpockets before we went was a lot worse than seeing them when we were there. You just deal with it. Mind you, we are going to Barcelona in a month. I am getting nervous again.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM
car

The pickpocketing rate in Madrid and Barcelona as informed by the police has declined in the past couple of years and it is true that there is more police presence in tourist areas.
I am glad to read that people actually enjoy without trouble their visits.
Of course there is no reason to be unattentive or careful.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM
car

sorry i meant uncareful
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 07:38 AM

"and you ARE safer in Europe than you are in America."

It was a GREAT post until you "started feeling superior" (to use your words) and the credibility factor went into the minus zone.