Spain Tours

Old Jun 27th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Spain Tours

Thinking about a 10 - 14 day trip to Spain. Madrid , Seville , Barcelona. Don't know whether to go it on our own or a tour company. Tauck, Globus, etc. Does anyone have thoughts on tour companies or other ideas. This will be our first trip to Spain.
Thanks

RS
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM
yk

See this:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-to-spain.cfm

It's very easy to visit all these places on your own. You can take a look at my 12-day Spain report here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm

And others Spain trip reports here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...tripreport.cfm
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM

If you are able to get around on your own or do not have small children, I suggest very strongly that you see Spain on your own.

At the major destinations there are many people who speak English, there is very little violent crime, the signs are easy to read knowing the most rudimentry Spanish, and the train and bus systems are excellent wasy to get from town to town.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM

I agree with Aduchamp1. I did an Insight tour of Italy in 2000 and it was the last tour I ever did. Free time in cities was basically a couple of hours around lunch so you had the option of either eating or sightseeing. Hotels weren't always in the center of towns and definately not charming. Early mornings, follow the umbrella, etc.... This isn't just Insight but any tour operators trying to squeeze in alot of sights in a short time with a large amount of people.

It's just not for me. If you only want to visit these 3 cities and have 10-14 days it's easy to plan this on your own.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM

I have done & truly enjoyed both for different reasons.
Our last trip was independently done & we had a great time, but I did all the planning (with help from Fodorites)
But as far as tours, I can only handle leisurely paced tours, the others are just too rushed. And I hate it when it's time to "go" and I want to hang out longer somewhere.
Usually I will extend on my own.

Though it's your first time to Spain, have you traveled much before? If so, solo? Are you a social person?
How many people are traveling this time?
Do you like to get up early?
Have you ever traveled with a group of strangers before?

Why would you consider tour versus doing your own thing?
Is there a concern? Convenience, saftey etc? Or do you prefer company of others?

This will help us know you better..
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM

amsdon is asking some very good questions.
I took a tour only once in my life ( was alone in Spain 25 years ago for the first time, did not speak Spanish then,was on a tight schedule).
I did not like spending time with people I did not know, sharing table and bus for days etc. On the other hand, it was easy to have had everything organized, luggage taken care off ,tickets for Granada booked..
Well, it WAS before the Net and Fodor's.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 07:24 AM

Yes how did we survive without internet & Fodors Danon?
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Another idea might be to visit the cities you wish to see on your own (hotels, transportation, restaurants, museums, etc.), but arrange one-day tours while you are there.

Many times, if I am visiting a city for the first time, I find that a day tour to get an overview of the city is a good way to discover what I am wish to see at a more leisurely pace on my own.

Most hotels or tourist info sites can help you find a reputable tour company. Or ask here!
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Did a tour of Southern Spain and Portugal last April with getours.com or called Grand European Tours
It worked out well for us as we did get to see more of each country without the hassle of planning travel between each place. I also learned alot as we had an excellent guide for the overall trip as well guides who knew each city we visited. We also had free time in some places which was nice. There were optional tours along the way,but you could also do you own thing. There are advantages of tours,but I also like independent travel if I am not trying to see alot of places.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM

amsdon, I don't know!
Strange how things have changed in the last 10 or so years.....
who knows what the future will bring,
in the mean time : viva Google!
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:03 AM

RAS515 I forgot to add, what about your budget?
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 05:34 AM

bookmarking

I am just starting to plan our trip to Spain.

amy