Sicily, Venice and Rome

Search

Sicily, Venice and Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sicily, Venice and Rome

I'm planning to visit Italy this fall. Trip will include Rome-Palermo-Venece-Rome. Can anyone suggest the best way to see it . This trip will last 14 days, and also i'm looking for hotel/mote/b&b ( not expensive)
Thanks.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Not expensive can mean anything. What is your budget?

I would not go to Rome twice. Fly to Venice, fly to Palermo, then end in Rome. You might also consider taking the overnight ferry from Palermo to Rome (Civitavecchia is Rome's port).
Check www.whichbudget.com or www.skyscanner.net for flights between Venice/Palermo/Rome.
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM

Hi there,

Firstly, Venice, there is a very reasonably priced hotel right near St Marks Square (Piazza San Marco) it is literally 10 steps from the square. I love Venice and I know you can't go wrong with this location.

I am staying there in March for 50 euros per night in a room with private ensuite. I am not sure of your dates but it might be worth checking this hotel out. Here is the website:

http://www.hotelaidomori.com/en_hotel1.htm

The Hotel ai do Mori has a lovely "Painter's Room" with outside rooftop terrace which might interest you and it has excellent rates!!!

As I am on a limited budget this time to Italy I am staying again in my favourite B&B right near the Pantheon in Rome.

It is a beautiful little B&B right by the Pantheon(one of the most sought after areas of Rome) offering a scrumptious breakfast and fantastic rates. The B&B Baldassini offers wonderful service from its hosts Francesco & Isabella and represents excellent value for money.

Here you can read all the wonderful reviews this B&B receives:
http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...ome_Lazio.html

www.baldassinibeb.it

If you, or any other Fodor's member would like to stay there you are welcome to use my past guest discount code (BBB777) to obtain a discount on your accommodation - just quote this code in your email to the B&B.

Also, if you do decide to book, the owners will give you your own discount code to receive a further discount - both discounts can be used on the one booking!!

But, discounts aside, this is a great place to stay and I can guarantee you will love your time there. I cant wait to return in March. As an ex-Qantas Flight Attendant (18 yrs service) I have come to find that the B&B's have a much more personal touch than the hotels and certainly represent much better value for money!

I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Cheers,
Melissa
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM

In Venice I agree that staying off St Marks Square is a good bet, I stayed at the Best Western just off the Sq and had no complaints. I also took the train from Rome to Venice, not a bad trip, enjoyed the countryside.
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 04:38 AM

AussieGirl has some great suggestions And I agree that B&Bs usually run cheaper and offer more personalized service. In Venice I stayed at a place called Hotel Marte that was about 5 minutes from the station. It was a 1 star hotel, but I got a room with a private shower/toilet, a/c, and tv for E65/night for 2 people in the middle of October, so it was a good deal. I don't remember the address, but was directed there by the Hotel Info people at the station, who for an extra 3 euros happily booked the room for me too. The Hotel Info people at train stations are almost always a great way to save money (by this I mean the actual official info desk and not just dirty guys standing around with signs saying "you need hotel?"). In Rome the friends and relatives who visit me often stay at Residenza Navona First in Piazza Della Cancellaria. It's a nice little B&B split in 3 separate structures near Piazza Navona, and the owners are a sweet couple who really care about their guests....and they have good rates and cash discounts Another place people have recommended to me is near the Vatican and pretty new, so they have LOVELY rooms, and really low rates (look at www.caesarsroomsroma.com). If you want a variety of options all over Italy though, some friends turned me onto a great website with prices ranging from amazingly high to surprisingly low, and their properties are really nice. I got a great deal on a place in Florence through them a few months ago The staff is also nice and English speaking, so it's good to have a painless booking process. Anyway, you can check them out at www.italiancollection.com. Hope that helps, and have a nice trip!
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 06:34 AM

In Venice I personally would avoid staying any place near the Piazza San Marco and also near the Rialto. These areas get too crowded with tourists, even in the fall. The charm of Venice is in the back lanes and little piazzas. We liked staying in the Dorsoduro last time.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all responses, I'm going to look into all of them.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 04:58 AM

I agree that you should fly into one city and out of another, to avoid backtracking. There are overnight ferries between Rome and Palermo which you might look into. Since you're on a budget, it would save you the cost of a hotel for a night. You can either get a cabin or an airline style reclining seat.

I'd suggest dividing your time fairly equally among the three cities, as there's plenty to do and see in and around all of them.