Hotel suggestions Venice and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for some suggestions for four star hotels in Venice and Rome.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:34 AM

I havent been to the Colombino in Venice (4 star) but met a lawyer in Rome last year and he said it was a very good hotel.<BR><BR>With regard to Rome, my husband and I stayed in the Colonna Palace for two weeks. (this is where we met the lawyer from Los Angeles) - we come from Scotland.<BR><BR>If you want a central hotel in the historic centre (and yet very quiet) this is the hotel. It faces parliament building so therefore no traffic allowed to go into the square. Police guard this square 24 hours on all sides. It is a traditional hotel. No restaurant for dinner at night but you have your breakfast on the rooftop looking over the rooftops of Rome. Casual dress.<BR>5-10 minutes walk to all the main sites. You can even pop into your hotel mid-day inbetween sites - it is so handy.<BR>Hope this helps.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:17 AM

Have you looked at www.venere.com? You can search by stars &amp; compare prices. There's a huge range of prices at the 4* level.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:02 PM

Hi<BR>I inspected the Colombina about a year or so ago, was very impressed, would consider staying there. Hotel recently renovated completely. Rooms bright, airy, and charming. Some overlook a small canal. Location 5 minute walk from Piazza San Marco. Double rooms not huge, but good size for Venice.<BR>Bathrooms modern. Staff at the front desk were helpful.<BR><BR>Another great little hotel is the Ca'Pisani, on the Dorsoduro side of the Accademia Bridge. Modern, art-deco ish decor, very nicely done, some luxury services like jacuzzis in some bathrooms.<BR><BR>In addition to browsing at venere.it, look at the Fodors.com hotel rants and raves comments. Many hotels are often recommended for Venice and Rome.<BR>My favorite in Rome is the Santa Chiara, but there are many good ones in both cities. Not sure if the Santa Chiara is a 3 star or a 4. Another suggestion in Venice is the Flora, which I also loved. Rooms vary in size.<BR><BR>I have files on those cities. If you'd like to see them, email me at<BR>[email protected]
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:53 PM

Good evening, aycarson<BR>Our favorite in Rome is the DE LA VILLE,<BR>located on the via Sistina and the top<BR>of the Spanish Steps. In Venice it is<BR>the SATURNIA INTERNATIONAL located about<BR>one block west of the Pza S. Marco..<BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.<BR>
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:46 PM

I didn't love the location of the de la ville and there was'nt as many places to eat around the hotel. I loved the Albergo Del Senato. Great location, lots of places to eat. Right in front of the pantheon and around the corner was piazza navona. Spanish steps and the colloseum was walking distance. Venice we loved the Luna Baglioni. Pretty hotel and elegant rooms. Right next to San Marco square and the Vaporetto 1.<BR>
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:19 PM

I stayed at the Colombina in Venice this past September and absolutely loved it!<BR><BR>It is close by San Marco, yet very quiet. The rooms were beautiful and spacious. The staff was wonderful. I had a room which overlooked the canal that the Bridge of Sighs is on, and I just loved watching the gondolas float by with their smiling patrons.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:16 AM

In having a quick look on venere.com, I noticed the Europa Regina is listed as a 4*. I was surprised as people rave about this place &amp; talk about it in the same category as the Danielli which is 5*. It is a Starwood property.<BR><BR>Also people have given high marks to a newish hotel Palazzo San Angelo (look on the website sinahotels.com). When it first opened it was only rated 3* because their restaurant was not yet opened. Finally, people have spoken well here of the Ca Dei Conti.<BR><BR>The Ca' Pisani which Elaine mentioned is lovely but be aware it's not on any water so there would be no water views if that matters to you.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:20 AM

PS Our friends stayed at the Saturnia &amp; were very disappointed. Their room was small &amp; dark (lots of dark wood paneling). It is also not on water so you can't take a water taxi right to the door of the hotel. The lobby is lovely &amp; their restaurant La Caravelle is evidently very good but they felt it was not good value for money over all.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:05 AM

Hi<BR>I too was disappointed in the Saturnia in 2001. I respect Richard's opinion but I had a different impression. First let me say that the hotel is grand in appearance in an old fashioned way, and the staff couldn't have been more attentive. The included buffet breakfast is outstanding. Our room was huge, unlike that of mclaurie's friends.<BR>However it too was dark, tv sitting on a metal stand in the middle of the room, and the general impression of our room was that it was very much in need of updating. I didn't feel the experience there was a good value.<BR><BR>I could have paid more and had a really top experience, or paid less for a &quot;lesser&quot; small hotel like the Colombina or Flora (which I love)or Ca'Pisani, and had a doubtless smaller room but more cheerful and even elegant ambiance.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:06 AM

I too was disappointed in the Saturnia in 2001. I respect Richard's opinion but I had a different impression. First let me say that the hotel is grand in appearance in an old fashioned way, and the staff couldn't have been more attentive. The included buffet breakfast is outstanding. Our room was huge, unlike that of mclaurie's friends.<BR>However it too was dark, tv sitting on a metal stand in the middle of the room, and the general impression of our room was that it was very much in need of updating. I didn't feel the experience there was a good value.<BR><BR>I could have paid more and had a really top experience, or paid less for a &quot;lesser&quot; small hotel like the Colombina or Flora (which I love)or Ca'Pisani, and had a doubtless smaller room but more cheerful and possibly even elegant ambience.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:07 AM

PS<BR>one correction: the Saturnia does indeed have its own water entrance, in the rear of the hotel.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:01 PM

It's a 3* but I would recommend the Antico Doge. It's newly redone and on a small canal. Good location. (Minor problem--no elevator.)
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep in mind that the difference in stars (3 vs. 4) does not relate to quality but to the number of amenities. For example, a hotel that has a restaurant will receive more stars than a hotel that is comparable in all other respects but doesn't have a restaurant.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:39 AM

As others have pointed out, don't fixate on the number of stars. An inconveniently located, dirty hotel with a surly inattentive staff might be a five star because it has conference rooms, three restaurants, and the check-in counter in a large lobby--while a lovely, well-maintained, ideally located hotel with a friendly attentive staff might be only a 3-star because it doesn't have conference rooms or a restaurant with sterling silver utensils.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:10 AM

Wow. Sorry about the misinformation on the Saturnia water taxi stop. When my friends were leaving to go to the airport, they described a mad scramble wading through water with their suitcases to meet the taxi because there was aqua alta. I assumed it was because there was no water stop at the hotel but maybe that stop was just unreachable because of aqua alta.