Spain North vs. South

Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Spain North vs. South

My fiance and I are planning our Spain/Portugal honeymoon for June '04. We are trying to decide between Northern and Southern Spain. We are looking for a relaxing vacation, but still want to see some of the sights. We also do not want to be overrun by other tourist.
Also, we want to spend some time (2-3 days) on one of the islands in the areas. We are currently looking at Maderia, The Canary Islands, or the Azores.
Does anyone have any comments and/or suggestions?
Thanks
btw, is it too late in the game to get reservations at some of the nicer hotels in the area?
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:18 AM

I always find it interesting when tourists going to tourist destinations say they don't want to be overrun by tourists. Nonetheless, at that time of year anywhere in Europe will be crowded. You will likely see the biggest crowds in large cities like Barcelona and Madrid. My personal favorite in Spain is Granada where the Alhambra is located. Granada has great night life, food and many things to see and do.
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:31 AM

I too am a big Granada fan. However, in this case I might suggest Northern Spain simply because going in June you will have great weather. It can be rainy 8-9 months of year [from Sep - Apr.] I'd take advantage of your schedule. It will less crowded than the south. My favorites are on opposite ends of the "north": Santiago de Compostela and San Sebastian. It's a great and easy drive between the two but don't know if you have time for both. All in all, I'd probably pick up a car in Madrid and make a loop involving Pamplona, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Burgos and back to Madrid. Don't overlook the back roads in the mountains. They are wonderful!
Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

What about the islands? Any suggestions there? Are they worth the time and effort to get there? Our whole trip will be 12 days.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:56 AM

This doesn't answer your Spain question, but I just wanted to point out that the Eurocup (soccer) 2004 is in Portugal this year (June-July), and Portugal will be extra touristy. Just an FYI since this is one of your concerns.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:43 AM
Maira

Have you ever been to Spain? I always recommend Southern Spain for a first timer. Spain, however, has such tremendous diversity that is not only reflected in the ways of life and culture, but is also framed by the geographical diversity. One vacation my husband and I enjoyed tremendously was one that took us to Northern Spain; Santiago de Compostela, Pontevedra, Viana de Castelo (Portugal), Porto, back to Madrid for departure back to the States via Salamanca. We took 12 days to do this loop. Viana de Castelo is a seaside, tranquil, relaxing, medieval town, with beautiful and unspoiled beaches (Efife Beach was gorgeous). On that trip we saw gorgeous mountain scenery and beautiful coastal towns. June would be a great month to do this loop. The best part is the opportunity to discover your own gems and what are the things YOU enjoy.

Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

So...should we forgo the islands all together and concentrate on the mainland?
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:56 PM

How long is your trip and when in June? Southern spain, especially Sevilla would be very nice for a honeymoon. However, it may be very hot especially in late June.
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Forget the islands. You'll just run yourself to death to/from airports if you try to combine.

Search this Thread