Spain in 7 days

Jul 15th, 2003, 06:42 PM
clg
Original Poster

Spain in 7 days

We are planning a first time visit to Spain for 8 days. Currently planning to go to Madrid, Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Toledo. We are also thinking of taking a day in Costa del Sol. Several questions -- is the Costa del Sol worth the trip? Any suggestions of restaurants we "must" go to throughout Spain? How is the drive from Granada to Sevilla? Any thoughts on the itinerary? Thanks in advance for feedback!
Jul 16th, 2003, 02:31 AM
lol

hi we spent our honeymoon in spain last sept. we spent three weeks between touring the white villages, seville and barcelona.
I did not go to the costa del sol but we passed Malaga on the way to Ronda and it was a big disappointment.
Ronda is a must if you are in the area.
Seville is great, you must go to a flamenco show. the hotel recommended the Arenal, great show and dinner for 57 euros/person.
I would suggest you take a day to tour white villages or a specific village instead of costa del sol. it is a unique experience.
good luck
Jul 16th, 2003, 02:46 AM

I think 5 cities in 8 days is too much, you will be very rushed, IMO and won't really get to see any of the places you are going. I would say you need at least 2 full days in each place you are going. If you can't extend your trip, I would say delete at least one city. (hard to choose, I think I might actually skip Madrid and head for the smaller more interesting, IMO, cities.)

As for the costa del sol, you would of course have to take out another city to be abel to manage it in 8 days. Also, what month are you going? If it is the winter or fall, the costa del sol will not be warm, so may not be worth it. If it is later this month or next, it will be very crowded and again you may not get the full experience.

Jul 16th, 2003, 03:16 AM
Intrepid

I would agree with cutting down the number of cities and also doing so by reviewing the possible sights in each that you might want to see or not see. I would NOT go to any of these places just because they are the names you hear about most often...if you haven't already, get a guidebook and decide which are the MOST interesting..of course, you may have already done this!!! I disagree with the recommendation to "skip" Madrid...don;t know what your interests are but there is a lot to see and do there...but again, all based on our own personal interests and opinions. Have a GREAT trip!

Jul 16th, 2003, 05:44 AM

I travelled yr itinerary without Seville just a month ago - and took 10 days - and it still wasn't long enough. Granted, I was using public transport. But I often wonder if you Americans are addicted to the idea of "It's Tuesday, therefore it must be Madrid". Go slowly and savour. And, by the by, Toledo was the big surprise.

People rave about Italy - art, walled cities, etc - but Spain has all and more.
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:00 AM

I would highly recommend seeing Casa de Pilatos in Seville. Go first thing in the morning when it opens, before it gets too hot. We had the whole place to ourselves when we go there first thing. We also went across the river to Triana. The best ceramic/pottery shops are off Plaza de Callao and C/ Campos--you get better quality and better prices than at the touristy places. Not difficult walking, but I preferred to take a taxi over (they are so cheap in this city).

We also really enjoyed the town of Nerja in Costa del Sol. We rented a car and drove from Seville to Ronda for a 2hr. sidetrip and onto Nerja, then made a day trip to Granada. If you go to Nerja, be sure to get Paella at 1pm at Ayo's restaurant on Burriana Beach. The absolute best! You can read our trip report at:
http://www.geocities.com/beckonbecky/Spain2002.html

HAVE FUN!
Jul 16th, 2003, 07:12 AM

One of the glories of Spain is its relaxed pace, which goes well with the crazy schedules, late nights and socializing that are so much a part of life there. Rethink your priorities and enjoy 2 or 3 cities at most in your limited time.
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:39 AM

I have to concur, 8 days is just not enough to do it all, but if that's all you have, you can still do it -- we did Madrid/Toledo, Seville, Cordoba and Costa del Sol in 7 days.
Toledo is a day trip from Madrid, and Cordoba we did as a day trip from Seville. You need at least 2 days in Seville, and you can easily spend more time there. It was actually my favorite place out of all listed. We didn't go to Granada, b/c we wanted to go to Costa del Sol, and loved it. We only had 2 days there, but it was nice and relaxing -- a perfect way to end a vacation.
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Doable itinerary
Arrive Madrid(1)
morning-Prado
afternoon-Toledo
Toledo(1)
drive to Granada via La Mancha
Granada(1)
morning-Alhambra
afternoon-drive to Arcos via Ronda
Arcos de la Frontera(1)
Drive to Seville via Jerez de la Frontera
Seville(1)
morning-Cathedral & Alcazar
afternoon-enjoy Seville
Flamenco tonite
Seville(1)
morning-Cordoba
afternoon-drive to Madrid
Madrid(1)
enjoy Madrid or Escorial
Madrid(1)
Depart for home

Costa del Sole would fit in after Granada and would require 2 nites. Could skip Arcos and 1 nite in Madrid.

Restaurants:
Madrid- Paelleria Valenciana (lunch only)
Madrid- Sobrino de Botin roast pig of Hemingway fame
Seville- Rio Grande, view, across the river
Toledo-Hostal del Cardinal,(also a good hotel)

Gary
Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:09 PM
clg
Original Poster

thanks so much for your advice!