Honeymoon in Spain?

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Alexa

Honeymoon in Spain?

we are considering honeymooning in Spain. we do not want our honeymoon to be filled with running around and sightseeing, but would like to do a little at our own pace. we are more interesting in soaking in the culture versus running around all day. where would you recommend going. we would like to spend at least half of the time in coastal towns- ont he beach.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Sandra

Alexa,

What time of year will you be going on your honeymoon? That would definitely determine the options you will have at the time...

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Tina

Go to Seville, it's so laid back and filled with culture. Madrid is like New York City, not that it's bad, but it may be too fast-paced for your honeymoon.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Roni

I recommend either of the following two programs:

Spain By Train
a 9 day 7 night program.
2 days in Madrid
2 days in Seville
1 night in Cordoba
2 nights in Costa del Sol
And Train travel between the cities.
the Southern area of Spain is usually warm all year round.
Seville is a beautiful city and the Marbella area of Costa Del Sol is perfect for honeymooners and beach lovers. a lovely area.

The other option is a fly drive program
In 10 days and 8 nights
1 night Madrid
1 night Toledo
1 night Cordoba
2 nights Seville
1 night Ronda
2 Costa del Sol
reserve(rent) a car for 7 days
Ronda is built on the the edge of the Guadalevin Gorges - the view is breathtaking!
both of these programs are independant and sightseeing would be at your leisure.

Let me know if you want more info!
and congratulations

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Alia

Roni,
I think it's wonderful that you went through the trouble of suggesting itineraries. But, Alexa said that she does not want to be running around, and with your itineraries she would be switching hotels between 4-6 times. What itinerary might be suggested for a 10 day realaxing trip? With half in beach areas as Alexa mentioned? I am curious for my own planning- maybe 2 different areas?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Roni

Hello Alia

Definately the Costa del Sol Area.
In fact, you can base yourself in Marbella and then do day trips to Seville, Granada, Ronda, Cordoba, Jerez de La Frontera. These cities are all about 2 - 2.5 hours driving distance away(depending on traffic). If you don't want to drive you can pick up daily excursions from the central bus station. You will get a seat in coach on the local motorcoach tours and the only drawback is they are multilingual.
Overnighting in Seville is not a bad idea either if you want to stay in 2 areas.

I can recommend a very good travel agency if you are interested.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Rani

Hello Fodorites. I too am planning a honeymoon in Spain in April, landing in Barcelona. Same kind of itinerary as Alexa, don't want to do too much running around but love to see and experience new things...
Roni, loved the itineraries but don't want to do too much travel, our next stop is going to be Paris for 3 days...
Also, my fiance wants "fun in the sun", any suggestions for that in Barcelona, some people have suggested Mallorca for the week, what do you think?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 12:07 PM
prwood

I just recently got back from a honeymoon to Andalucia. I suppose you can say we did some 'running around' - but that is the type of people we are, and we enjoyed our time there immensely!

I posted another thread about our trip at this link:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=34380140&numresponses=1&s tart=0&keyword=153

You can check out our photo gallery here (has both wedding and honeymoon photos):

http://gallery.prwdot.org/wedding/