Search

Spain City Recommendations....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain City Recommendations....

Hi,
Going to Spain with my husband in November for about 7 days. He likes to see the sites (historical places, museums etc) and I like to shop, people watch and eat. What city would you recomend, Barcelona, Madrid, Seville? Any input you can provide would be great.
Hotel recommendations appreciated also.
Cheers,
picturegirl
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I responded to your other post.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Someone recommended that I put Spain in the subject line, so I reposted...
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Jen

Well, there are "sites," shopping, and great food in all three cities. Your husband will probably find more museums and such in Barcelona or Madrid than Seville. OTOH, Seville has that wonderful Andalusian flavor, and another great town, Cordoba, would make for a great side trip. Weather that time of year will likely be warmer there as well.

Madrid has great museums and shopping, and the possibility of a side trip to one my favorite Spanish towns, Toledo.

Barcelona is fantastic too-- all 3 cities are great. Can you elaborate on what kind of museums and sites your husband likes (cathedrals? mosques? art museums? cultural museums? castles?) , and what kind of shopping and activities you like (high-end shopping? great nightlife? mellow cafe culture?)? That would help us make a recommendation for you-- but you really can't go wrong with any of these cities!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jen!
My husband is interested in anything historical (architecture, cathedrals,art museums). He loves to be constantly learning! My grandfather is actually from Barcelona, so we will be trying to find the house he grew up in as well.
Regarding shopping, not high end. I'm more interested in getting a really nice hand bag or other things that I cannot get at home in San Francisco.
We aren't big on nightlife, but will probably go out clubbing one night. Good eats are definitely a plus!
Thank you so much!
Great info.
~picturegirl
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:37 PM

I'd say Barcelona. I'm not usually a shopper, but the shopping was GREAT in Barcelona, as is the city.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:37 PM

I'd recommend Madrid because has 3 great museums (El Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen), wide variety for shopping, tapas bars and restaurants.
Madrid also is the base for daytrips to Segovia, Salamanca or Toledo.
Download the Maribel's Guide to Madrid:
http://maribelsguides.com
For shopping check:
http://www.madridshoppingtour.com/
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Jen

OK, well, here's my non-answer:

I personally liked Barcelona better than Madrid-- great medieval section, cathedrals, architechture (Gaudi, etc.); however, Madrid probably has better shopping, nightlife and better museums.. Prado, etc. Also, as I mentioned before, Toledo is close by... spend the night there, maybe two. Love, love love that town.

Seville is also wonderful (and I liked it better than Madrid as well FWIW). And again, as I said, Cordoba close by--fantastic mosque there, and it's a really nice little town with the narrow, windy streets. There are plentry of sites to check out in Seville, but you won't get the range of museums that you might get in Barcelona or Madrid.