Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Only 6 Nights in Spain. Where should we go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I really want to honeymoon in Spain. We haven't been there before and are very eager to visit. However, due to work issues that have come up, we would only have 6 nights (maybe 7?) to spend there. (We live in CA, so travel eats up a full day of our honeymoon time). In a perfect world, we'd have much more time-- but we thought, why sacrifice the trip all together, let's go and at least see SOME of Spain. We can go back and see more in coming years.

I've always wanted to visit Barcelona-- but I hear from friends that they've liked Sevilla and the surrounding areas better. And then there's Madrid, which I don't want to overlook. Obviously, we can't see ALL of this in just 6 nights. Since it's a short trip, where do you recommend we focus our time? Oh- and this would be for late Sept./ early October 2005.

All advice appreciated!
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:27 AM

Go with your gut. If you have "always wanted" to visit Barcelona then that is where you should go,regardless of what anyone else liked or disliked. Spain has many wonderful places to include Seville but that isn't THE place you've always wanted to go, is it?

You do not say what your interests are. You could possibly do both Barcelona and Seville and fly cheaply between the two..with six days I would not try to do more than two places and would assume this is only the first trip to Spain.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:35 AM
SRS

I have not been to Barcelona and I think Intrepid's advice is good.

However, I think you should consider just choosing one main city and then daytriping from that location if you feel like it after you arrive. That way, you don't spend too much of your vacation time racing from location to location.

We went to Spain for 2 weeks in March and went to Madrid, Seville, Granadam Toledo, and the White Hill Towns. Our schedule was really full and if I were to do it again, I would cut some of locations due to timing.

So from what you are saying, I would consider Barcelona and then daytripping from there.

Or Madrid and daytripping to say Toledo and/or Segovia.

Or Seville and daytripping to Cordoba and/or the White Hill Towns.

It will surely be a great trip whatever you decide!

Sally
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice so far!

We've traveled quite a bit in Europe before, just not in Spain.

As for our interests, we really enjoy historical sights and museums-- especially when we're in a city for the first time. I enjoy taking winery tours, my fiance likes walking all day and seeing "as much as possible." We're an "on the go" couple and not the types to spend a whole trip lying on the beach. While I'd like for this visit to be a little leisurely (it is a honeymoon after all!) we'd definitely like to be someplace where there is plenty to do and see.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:28 AM
SRS

Erin,

I think you can get historical sights and museums over much of Spain, but I think that Madrid and the surrounding area might be up perfect. Plus, there is much to do, so you won't run out of things if you are serious sightseers.

I think that Seville is really relaxing, so depending on what you are looking for, it might not be right for this trip although it has tons of history, particularly when you add in possible White Hill Town or Cordoba side trips.

Hopefully someone else will chime in on Barcelona as that is the city you were initially drawn to.

Best wishes,
Sally
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Barcelona is a wonderful place, especially if you like Gaudi architecture but it isn't limited to that.

Madrid has one of the greatest of European museums in the Prado augmented by the Thyssen and the Reina S. Royal Palace can be a wonderful place to visit as well.

Seville, with the largest cathedral on earth.

This is a hard one..as I said earlier, consider this to be the first of several trips. I'm going back next Summer..Spain is wonderful.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:54 AM

I'll chime up for Barcelona. Although you could spend a week there, easily, I'm an "on the go" traveler also, so I'd suggest a combo - either do Barcelona and Madrid, or Barcelona and Sevilla. From Barcelona, you can take the train north to the cava region and tour a vineyard, take a trip up to Monserrat, and of course enjoy the city. I liked Barcelona better than Madrid, but obviously that is just one humble person's viewpoint.

The ideas already listed here for Madrid with daytrips or Sevilla with Cordoba are good ones.

You can find cheap flights between Barcelona and Sevilla - try Iberia.com.

Spain is wonderful - you'll have a great time either way, I'm sure!

Karen
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Erin, For a honeymoon, and with only 5 days to enjoy, I would save Spain for when you have 10 nites or more. What is wrong with Maui or Puerto Vallarta from CA?
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

We're going to Kauai in November of 2005 for a friend's wedding, so we didn't want to do two beach vacations back to back. We could really go to Mexico anytime (since it's so close) and wanted to do something a bit more "special" for the honeymoon-- even if it is just a brief trip.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Barcelona... With such a short trip and a honeymoon trip, at that. I'd suggest stick with one place and do day trips.

If you time your trip correctly you can be in Barcelona for La Merce. Sounds simply wonderful. For some info on this festival see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34506929

And do see Maribels guides. http://maribelsguides.com/

-Sharon
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! We really appreciate your advice.

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

I would do 3 nights Barcelona and 3 Seville--these are my 2 favorite places (so far) in Spain. Although I like Madrid too (and Toledo), I think if you can get an inexpensive flight between these two,it would be ideal.

I live on the West Coast too (Seattle) and am really envious that you are young enough to be able to go for 6 days and not suffer from jetlag. I couldn't imagine going that distance for less than 3 weeks now, but when I was younger, I could have.

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:57 AM

I loved Barcelona, liked Madrid and wasn't thrilled by Seville. (But my Seville experience was one day in 35C mid-June at the end of a hike.) If I could, I'd live in Barcelona: the architecture and streetscapes are stunning, the people, shops and restaurants are fashionable, and there are interesting museums and sights (perhaps a little less "fine art", a little more social history). Madrid I liked for its art museums, but was less attracted to the look of the city. I also really enjoyed Salamanca (but it wouldn't fit well with your schedule). I flew between Barcelona and Madrid to save time. You can buy cheap one-way tickets, either on Iberia or a regional carrier, once you get to Spain.

Our honeymoon plans will include 8 days in Spain (plus Morocco). My fiance has never been to Spain. We'll go to Barcelona (because I love it) and Granada, and try to find a charming town on or near the Costa Brava to use as a base for some scuba diving. We've decided to fly from Barcelona to Granada in order to save time. We might add an overnight stay in Sevilla, since we'll probably have to fly to London via Sevilla (Granada doesn't have an international airport).
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Erin74,

I haven't been to Madrid, but have visited both Barcelona & Seville. In an ideal I would endorse Karen's idea of a combined Barcelona/Seville visit, but if you have to choose between the two I would have no hesitation in favouring Barcelona.

Jim
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 09:37 AM

If you want to experience "traditional" Spain, I would go to Madrid and plan for a day trip to Toledo and El Escorial/ Valley of the Fallen- these are interesting historical sights that really define Spanish history. (I re-visted 3 years ago). Having said all that, I absolutely loved Barcelona when I was a student in Spain 20 years ago and plan to go back as "a complete separate trip". The art musuems are fantastic and I agree with other postings - go with your gut, really you can't make a wrong decision in traveling to Spain. I guess I would consider Madrid "traditional Spain" versus Barcelona-"modern Spain". Buen viaje