Spain questions for planned October trip

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain questions for planned October trip

We have just decided that we will able to plan an October trip next year, and I am about to embark on my research.

The initial plans are to leave Toronto on Sept. 30, arrive in Greece the next day and spend 4 days on Santorini and 5 days on Crete (in an attempt to find the last vestiges of Summer warmth).

We intend to then fly to Barcelona on Oct.11, and will be leaving to return to Toronto on October 24.

As I will now commence my research, I am hoping for a bit of assistance to narrow down our choices of how to best spend our time in Spain.

We do know that, apparently, a week in Barcelona is suggested, but we are somewhat clueless as to how to spend the other week or so.

So long as it makes sense, and is not creating a "Tuesday Belgium, Wednesday Paris" kind of holiday, I would appreciate any advice and recommendations in enabling me to start my planning.

We are interested in Galleries, museums, churches, and charming locations - we have visited Tuscany, Rome, Venice and the Italian/French Rivieras and would like to find similar offerings in Spain. If recommended and advisable, we will rent a car.

As always, many thanks for any assistance.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM

hi.we visited Spain in Oct. 2007 and loved it : Barcelona, Madrid (Toledo one day) and Granada.
A week in Barcelona went so fast, we are already plotting to return.
It has all the things you are looking for ( and more).
Your other week could be Madrid ( with side trips) or Seville with
car drive to Granada and "white villages ".
Madrid is a big city with wonderful museums ; Andalucia would give you a look at what some call " real Spain" ( not my opinion but...)
There are many other wonderful regions in Spain but , for the first time visit I would pick just two .
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:32 AM

P.S. you can fly Vueling :
Barcelona - Seville return for less than 100 euros
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Montserrat is close to Barcelona. An easy day trip.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Danon -
I now understand that Spain's beaches in the south (eg. Torremolinos) may well be warm enough for early October.

If we were to devote all 24 days to Spain, say 6 days at the start to the beach and then move north to Barcelona, would you have more recommendations for the whole period - again, having a car where advisable.

Thanks.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:26 AM

sorry, I visited the cost long time ago (and in the summer)\ but if that can work for you, spending all your time in Spain will probably save some money on airfares.
After your "beach holidays". you may wish to rent a car and drive to Granada ( 2 days), then work your way to Seville via the "white villages" (4 days). From Seville. you can take the fast train AVE to Madrid ( 5 -6 days)
From Madrid , one can visit Toledo and/or Segovia ( day trips).
I would fly Madrid to Barcelona and stay there for the rest of time ( with a side trip ?).
You may wish to look at a guide book,
design an itinerary, and get more advice here.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM

P.S.
take a look at this , very helpful info:

http://www.maribelsguides.com/
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM

I would definitely make sure and include a trip to Granada. La Alhambra was one of the most amazing places I've been in all of my European travels. We flew from Barcelona to Sevilla, spent a few days there, and then drove a rental car to Granada. We found the driving in Spain to be very easy.