Spaarndam Transportation

Search

Spaarndam Transportation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spaarndam Transportation

Is West Spaarndam convenient to Haarlem and Amsterdam by public tranportation?
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Anybody????
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM

So far as I can tell, this is a village attached to Haarlem. The important issue would be how far you are from a train station. There is a central Haarlem train station, but there are also at least one or two others. Possibly the station closest to you would be Haarlem Spaarnwoude, but you'll have to provide more information about the address.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaarndam
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Also, try www.ns.nl .
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Spaarndam West is about 5 miles north of the Haarlem train station. There is most certainly bus service provided by the Connexxion bus lines. However the Connexxion company has a pathetic web site so good luck.

I would just go to Haarlem from Amsterdam by train. Outside the main station (that's after you cross the river and see the windmill and big church) on the south side just oppposite the VVV tourist office is the bus station. Inquire in the office. Drivers don't have a great deal of patience, but will help you after the bus gets rolling. Buy a 15 unit Strippenkaart and ask the agent how to use it, or ask any rider. Everybody speaks English. That trip will probably cost you 3 strips, less than $2.

There are 6 trains an hour from Amsterdam.

What are you going to do in Spaarndam West? I've lived in Haarlem and don't recall ever going up there.

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hopscotch and all. I was hoping that you would read this. We are planning to stay 6 nights at Stempels in Haarlem as our base but I was reading about a B&B in Spaandam called De Telescoop that seemed charming and thought it might be interesting to substitute a night or two to get a small feel of Dutch village life.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Hi Basingstroke2,
We stayed at De Telescoop for 4 days in April and loved it. It was our first trip to Europe and our first stop so our stay with Daphne and Pieter holds special memories for us.

We hired a car from Schipol Airport so I can't help you with public transport, but we did see the Connexxion buses going through town. However it was a great base to visit Alkmaar, Aalsmeer Flower Markets, Keukenhof, Delft, Zaanse Schans, Katwijk Am Zee for a river trip through the polders, we then drove onto Brugge for a stay before returning in Amsterdam.

Spaarndam is very pretty small village, we had a couple of good meals at the local pub, De Toerist. When you walk into Daphne's there is a large open room that you use as your breakfast and sitting area then up the every steep stairs to 3 bedrooms, bathrooms were small but clean and adequate, but the towels were bath mat size (I had taken a microfibre one with me which I used a lot during our trip). Breakfast was simple but plentiful. We would stay there again for sure.

My trip report is Maudies Trip Report - 8 weeks in Europe but you are lucky you only have to read the first bit! Hope you have a great time.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Maudie - That was helpful as was your TR. It is an intriguing idea.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Your are most welcome and best wishes for a great trip.