Reload this Page >

Southern Italian Tourist Info?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:08 AM
x

Hello, I'm in the initial planning stages of a trip which will include Apulia, Basilicata and/or Calabria. Tons of info available on northern regions, but I haven't found much on these. Does the Italian tourism board offer brochures and maps for the asking? I can't find anything to that effect on the ENIT website. Or should I write to the individual provinces' tourist bureas - will they send info to the US? Any tips appreciated!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Patrick

I'm doing those areas this summer, and you are right. It is hard to come by much information about those areas. But last year I stopped in at the Italian Tourist office in New York and picked up a number of things. I believe they will send them to you as well.<BR>My favorite is a major book on Calabria. Although the text is all in Italian, there are many small maps which clearly show special drives, and many labeled pictures so at least it is possible to get an idea of what some of the places on the maps are. <BR>I have also had some decent luck on the internet just doing Google searches for the three major areas as well as searching individual town names. Many of the local tourist offices have web sites, although again most are only in Italian. <BR>I trust you have done a search here. There was a rather lengthy continuing thread about Basilicata in particular.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Carol

The regional tourist office of Basilicata has some great materials. i was amazed when I saw how good some of the books are and they're free. Last summer I started a thread on Basilicata which is still occasionally active. I have to leave for a meeting in a few minutes. If I can find it fast i'll top it. If not, just do a search for Basilicata. I'm sure you'll find it.<BR><BR>I think Apulia is becoming a popular destination for intelligent curious tourists. I've never been there but I've heard great things about it. You should be able to find plenty of info. I didn't have much success getting materials about Calabria mailed to me.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:04 AM
x

grazie : )

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 02:42 PM
carol

I forgot to mention that the following website is very good for Basilicata: www.basilicata.com (you could've guessed that, right?).