Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Finding tourist information centers / agenzia touristic? services offered?

Dec 9th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Fodorites

I'm having trouble finding the physical addresses of tourist visitor information centres in various locations (Venice, Cinque Terre, Pienza, Dolomites, Fano, Milan).

q1. Am I missing a trick when I am searching for them on the internet? I seem to bring up lots of websites claiming to be "the official website of town x,y,z" but looking through the website content, I really have my doubts that I've found the right website. What I'm trying to find out is the physical address of the office so that I can visit them in person.

q2. what services do these offices provide? do they book accommodation for you? if they do, will they book ahead accommodation for you in another town /city that you are heading towards?

grazie.

Lovener1 (now conceding that Lovener2 is leaving all the holiday planning to me...)
Dec 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM

At the beginning of my trip I found the same problem, however, part of the trick is to know what the title is in the language concerned, eg in Austria, 'Tourismus'.
Also, we have a GPS in car and a portable Garmin which both have listings of tourist information offices. We use the portable GPS in pedestrian mode occasionally to help us find these places and to find our car or apt if necessary!

Usually, when we get into towns we see the 'i' signs,the 'real' ones are different colours to the travel agency 'i' signs. Hopefully someone will help out with the correct colours.
Dec 9th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Type ufficio turistico, then the name of the city, and you should get both a map and addresses.
Dec 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM

The few tourist offices we have been in in Italy haven't been very helpful, with few or no brochures or maps. Personally I wouldn't count on getting much help and do the research instead on the net before you leave home.

Kay
Dec 9th, 2011, 02:54 PM

www.turismovenezia.it

Per this link to the official site in Venice, the name might include the word "turismo."
Dec 9th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Pienza
http://www.terresiena.it/index.php?o...id=449&lang=en

Cinque Terre
http://www.cinqueterre.it/info.php

Dolomiti
Many websites are specific to particular towns in the Dolomites

Fano
http://www.turismofano.com/index-e.html

Milano
http://www.turismo.milano.it/wps/por...=en/situr/home
Dec 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM

Local tourist offices outside the big cities (and sometimes in them) generally go under the name of "Pro Loco", so try googling for that, plus the name of the town.

They will usually only book accommodations in the town where they are located.

I have generally found them very helpful, with maps, brochures, lists of events like concerts, etc, train schedules, bus tickets, computers to use and friendly staff, but I have never visited the ones in the big tourist cities, like Florence or Venice, where I imagine they are overwhelmed.

Be aware that in the smaller towns they are likely to close for the long lunch hour, and all day Sunday. In le Cinque Terre, it is may be that the tourist office is in Monterosso al Mare, half of which was destroyed by the recent floods. There are websites that are portals for le Cinque Terre tourism, however, so you might try them if you can't get a response from a Pro Loco in le CInque Terre.
Dec 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful