Southeast London Accommodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to a conference at Goldsmiths College in Southeast London in January. I'm looking for a reasonable place to stay, perhaps in Greenwich? And does anyone know good directions from Heathrow Airport? From the map, it looks like Goldsmith's is near the New Cross Tube station. Has anyone stayed at the HOtel Ibis in Greenwich?
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:30 AM
JonJon

You might want to look, if you haven't already, at their website which gives directions www.goldsmiths.ac.uk; you can use two different Tube stops, both New Cross and New Cross Gate. Unfortunately, the webasite doesn't say much about accommodations in the surrounding area but rather talks about ones available on-campus. Hope thias helps a little.

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

They don't have on site accommodations for this conference. I'm on my own. Thank!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:20 AM

I haven't stayed at the Ibis in Greenwich but this is most probably one of the closest hotels to Goldsmiths. It?s the usual Ibis formula clean, cheap and fairly basic. There is also the Devonport House Hotel in Greenwich. The Ibis is almost in the centre of Greenwich and is close to restaurants, bars and has a cinema complex next door. However, there isn't a tube link from Greenwich to New Cross which would mean and you will have to rely on buses or taxis. Another option would be to stay at one of the hotels in Blackheath but again there is no direct tube link.

There is a Hilton on the Thames at Rotherhithe which is close to the Jubilee Line Station at Canada Water (the Hotel provides a shuttle service). Canada Water is only two tube stops from New Cross (East London Line). The drawback here is there isn't much in the way of bars, restaurants etc around this hotel. Hotels at Canary Wharf could also be an option as it?s only one stop further (change to Jubilee line at Canada Water).
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:18 AM

I went to Goldsmiths a few years back No hotels in New Cross to think of. I would stay more central London and tube it or your idea for Greenwich is not far away. The buses are pretty easy and Im sure you could call a taxi. Greenwich is real close!