Search

london

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
london

Hopefully this fall I'll be taking my first trip to London.

So as a first-time visitor, any tips for which area is the best to get around, tube stops, hotels, etc.

Thanks.
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:38 AM

I'd recommend staying in Mayfair which has several tube stations, and plenty of hotels. However, what is your budget, and what are your interests?
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:44 AM

In general, stay in central London and use public transportation, the tube or buses. (I always say we should use buses so we can sightsee en route. But it's just so easy to take the tube.)

If you have a list of particular sights to see, we can suggest an area in which to stay.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:23 AM

<<I'd recommend staying in Mayfair which has several tube stations>>

I can think of several areas in London that have several Tube stations - Mayfair isn't one of them unless it's for the servants
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:28 AM

Indeed, lots of areas have several tube stations serving them, I have lived in Mayfair for as long as I can remember, and it has several stations on its borders, or close to them: Hyde Park Corner, Green Park, Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Circus, Bond Street, and pre-war - Down Street.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are hundreds of threads on here answering those types of questions.

But it is impossible to give you any advice w/o knowing you budget, how long the trip is, etc.

There are many central neighborhoods - no one area is close to more than a handful of major sites. But all areas are convenient on public transport.

As for Mayfair - sure it is central - but it is also one of the most expensive places you could pick.

So what is your budget for accomodations and we can help a bit more
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:38 AM

The first thing to do is go buy a guidebook on London and read it. I recommend Rick Steves London 2006 for the first-timer to Europe, and/or his "Europe Through The Back Door" book for more general information about travel, including London.

Once you've read a book or two, (and get a travel video or two from your local library), you'll be more prepared to ask questions specific to what you need to know and what you want to do.

London is expensive, so planning and budgeting, unless you're Bill Gates, is especially important.

Happy travels,

Jules
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I will buy a guide book.

My budget for hotels would probably be around $175 American per night.

I've heard that Hyde Park was a nice area.
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - you need to get one of those guide books jules mentioned - The "Hyde Park Area" (actually Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens) covers a huge area. Mayfair, Knightsbridge, South Kensington, Kensington, Notting Hill, Bayswater and Marble Arch all border the park. And some would throw in Earls Court and Paddington since they are only a few blocks away.

For a first trip I'd probably stay in S. Kensington, Victoria or Russell Square - all are central, have good transport connection and a good selection of moderate hotels. South Kensington is close to teh parks and the V&A/Natural History/Science museums. Victoria is close to the river, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and has a mainline station for out of town trips. Russell Sq/Bloomsbury is close to teh British Museum, British Library, Covent Garden, and Oxford Street shopping.

Are you traveling solo, or is that budget for a double?

You also might want to consider Priceline. It is very useful for London. Check out biddingfortravel.com for hints/hotels in London/bidding strategy.
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:45 AM

adny55nyc,

Have a look at the Fodor guide on this site.

What amount of time are you planning on spending there? Time for side trips?

General budget for accomodations? Prefer hotel, or would consider B&B? Hotels can be seriously expensive, though people here have used Priceline with success.
Anything you "need" where you are staying, or just a place to sleep. Want to walk to places, or tube it everyday? My last trips I've B&B'ed in Bloomsbury, which has easy access to main tube line to Heathrow, walking distance to British Museum, Oxford St, and bit longer hike to Covent Garden.

Like discovering on your own, or like tours? There are some quite good walking tours of London.

Hope this helps you get started.
Mike