London Tube

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Tube

Got back from London a couple of weeks ago. They are closing down the Circle (yellow) line on weekends and part of the District (green) line also on weekends which resulted in a huge chaotic mess. You can still get to your destination, but the trains were so packed going to the center of London that Green Park shut down part of the day and so did the Picadilly Line. If you're planning on sightseeing on the weekend, I would take this into account because it could ruin your day if you were on a tight schedule. The buses were running but we knew nothing about them, and they were packed because of this also. I think this will be going on into 2005, but Londoners that post here would know more than I do.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 09:10 AM

This work has been going on for months, but it's not every weekend. It's best to check the posters displayed at stations to see which part of the system are closed.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

I didn't know about it ahead of time, but luckily I've been to London before, am very comfortable using the Tube so we got around o.k. We didn't have a tight schedule either.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:11 PM

I don't understand why a tourist would want to use the tube on a weekday. You're not in a rush, and walking from place to place will always provide exercise, and more importantly, a more pleasant experience as well as the opportunity to peruse and interact with the various distractions enroute.

Use the tube for longer journeys, but a little walk is far more rewarding.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:44 PM

That's a fine idea, mk2. If you live there.

But if you just forked over a few thousand quid for transportation, lodging, and dining for a week's sojurn in Blighty, that "leisurely stroll" might cost you $100 of your sightseeing time.

Now, the bus, that's different....
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Buses are preferable to the tube which is vile, and I avoid it at all costs. The people coming out the stations are all so unattractive and poorly dressed, they have no redeeming features from my viewpoint.

Buses are more charming, although I only go on the routemaster type if I must use one at all. The modern ones are hideous. However, if I'm not driving myself I will invariably walk, it's far more rewarding.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Oh, gosh. I've been known to take the Tube from time to time. Quel horrors! Have I no chance of redemption? ;-)
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Well m kingdom2 you had better enjoy riding those Routemasters while you can,as Red Ken has said that they all must go the way of the Dodo bird within the next year.
The remaining 100 red double decker buses on routes 12, 14, 22 and 36 will be missed once they are finally decommissioned from London General and London Central Buses fleets within the next 12 months. It appears that many of them will be replaced by "Horrors" German busses!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:14 PM

"The people coming out the stations are all so unattractive and poorly dressed, they have no redeeming features from my viewpoint."

Those are American and German tourists, mk2. Their redeeming feature is that they're bringing money to keep your dying economy afloat for a few more months.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Oh I'm so relieved to know that m_kingdom 2 doesn't ride the tube. Now I know I can safely ride it on my upcoming London trip without having to worry about running into her(or is it him).
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 04:51 PM

You also see folks on the Waterloo-City Line coming in to work wearing suits that cost more than mk's car.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 08:24 PM

I'm glad to hear they're working on the District and Circle lines, they're badly in need of an overhaul. They're sooo slow sometimes, esp. the awful Circle line.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 11:58 PM

To be honest the Tube seems to be OK except during rush hours at the busiest stations i.e. Picadilly Circus.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:43 AM

I didn't realise there were dress standards on the Tube! AAaaarrrggghhhh! The places where I can be a badly-dressed tourist are sadly diminishing
<but then - I'm badly dressed at home, too, I'm afraid! >
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 01:00 AM

Oh dear Robespierre, if you're going to slag off our country you'll need to pick another target. Whilst the USA, France Germany etc have been struggling to cope with a recession in recent years, and all have seen rising unemployment, The UK has comfortably coasted through, with constantly rising house prices and some of our lowest unemployment rates in decades. WE are not the ones with the ailing economy....
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 01:03 AM

Tube travel is liking fishing! It depends on the time of day. Early morning users are business people commuting in from 'affordable housing'. All will be well dressed. After 10AM expect the late risers and aforementioned tourists. Do try the bus system..
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:34 AM

Uh, Kate -

I think your brush is a bit broad there. Comparing your economy to that of the UE is damning with faint praise, but including the US in the comparison is simply inaccurate. We have enjoyed explosive growth in GDP over the past couple of years (although it has leveled off around 4%), whereas Britain's has struggled around 3.5%, with 2.5% projected for next year. A real estate bubble does not signify a strong economy.

My personal indicator (and what makes this digression travel related) is the erosion of the value of the $ vs. the £. For all Europe's internal problems, the € has remained in a manageable range.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:49 AM

I persue many a business person emerging from the depths of what is the tube, they all look scruffy, no hand tailored suits. Old creased numbers, lack lustre hair, cheap shoes, etcetera.

In fact, I seem many Italian (I can tell) tourists whose dress sense far surpasses most Brits'.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Perhaps those emerging from the tunnels in your neighborhood are hoi polloi as you describe.

But standing at Bank, I see cadres of well-tailored folks with brollies and bowlers, Tumi briefcases and a carefully-folded Financial Times under the arm. If you observe at Earls Court, naturally...