Euro and European Airfares

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that the dollar appears to be weakening by the moment, what do you think will happen to the airfares to Europe, France in particular this Spring?
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:39 AM
ira

Hi opal,

Airfares from the US to Europe are denominated in dollars. The value of the euro will have little effect on the price.

Waiting opposing views.

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:55 AM

While I think it is a little more complicated than "airfares are denominated in dollars", which ignores real prices increases for things purchased by the airlines while operating in Europe), multiple issues can affect airfares and to pinpoint one issue alone probably simplifies the pricing equation.

For example, the dollar may cause a decline in the number of Americans willing to travel to Europe, which could reduce demand. However, will that demand be offset by European's coming here to take advantage of their currencies strength?
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:04 AM
ira

Hi Ryan,

Good point. However, don't the airlines pay for their needs in Europe in euro? Thus, if they have contracted with a European caterer for meals at a fixed price in Euro, the only reason that their costs would rise would be if they don't earn enough Euro. Since they charge their European customers in Euro, there should be little effect.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:07 AM
ron

Two points here, I think:

1. The kind of budget fares that tourists look for bear little relation to cost. They have more to do with load factor, that is, filling the planes. If the airlines can fill more seats with tickets costing $2000, they will offer fewer $500 seats.

2. To the extent that costs are a factor, such things as fuel prices and US labour costs would have greater impact than exchange-related increases in landing fees in Europe or meals purchased in Europe or the salaries of European-hired ground staff.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:13 AM

I too don't think it's quite as simple as ira suggests, especially for European airlines (with financial expectations defined in euros (or whatever (For you grammar freaks, can one nest parentheticals?))). Bottom line, though, is that European carriers will need to stay with their US competitors.

In any case, if you find a fare today that you think is competitive and within your budget, book it. I've already booked a flight to Paris for next September (I think it was ira who steered me to Flights.com).
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:39 AM

In late 2000, when one euro bought only 82 US cents, the airfares here in Europe were about the same as they are now, when one euro buys 120 US cents.