Search

South Cork

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Cork

Where are the best places to stay along the south coast of Cork. I've heard wonderful things about Bandon, Clonkilty, Skibbereen, Baltimore, and many other small towns. We plan on driving between Kenmare and Kinsale, and aren't sure whether to spend a night between, or go on and spend the night in Kinsale.<BR><BR>Does any particular town and/or BNB stand out as a place to plan around?<BR><BR>We'll be there in early March.<BR><BR>thanks
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 10:45 AM

Chuck -<BR>If you are young (or young at heart) and would like to stay above a pub, you can stay above a pub, try Kierans Folkhouse, on Guardwell, (email @ [email protected]) they usually have some special running (B&amp;B + Dinner) if they do, take it, the food is great I found them on www.irelandhotels.com. I like staying in Kinsale, and its not that far from Kenmare 2-3hrs tops. <BR>Have fun
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 08:26 PM

Chuck,<BR><BR>The wonderful things you've heard about West Cork are true, and then some.<BR><BR>You'd have little trouble traveling from Kenmare to Kinsale, but you'd be mistaken if you took the most direct route. That's a relatively dull, rather featureless route. Much better is heading south from Kenmare through such towns as Glengariff, Bantry, Durrus, Crookhaven, Skibbereen, Glandore, and more, and on to Kinsale. Lest I forget, don't forget such island treats as Sherkin and Cape Clear. This is Ireland at is rural best, lovely and relaxed, casting your itinerary aside and living for the moment.<BR><BR>Try to spend at least one - but preferably two or three - overnights in this region before reaching Kinsale. You'll be glad you did.<BR><BR>As regards accommodation, do consider the excellent and very reasonably priced Fortview House, located in Goleen (see www.westcorkweb.ie/fortview). <BR><BR>For a memorable meal, it's hard to top Blair's Cove, located in Durrus. When I ate there a few years back, dessert choices - and there were many - were served atop a grand piano. Talk about grand!<BR><BR>Best of luck.<BR><BR>P.S. Blairs Cove also does B &amp; B, featuring lovely rooms in a breathtaking locale. Do check it out.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:36 AM

Chuck - Clonakilty is gorgeous. Definitely try to fit it into your schedule.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 09:34 AM

Not sure if you are stuck on those particular coastal areas but you might also look at Youghal, which is a nice place on the water and great accommodation and food at Aherne's (this is the town where Moby Dick was filmed). Or, our favourite place, a little further east in Ardmore a little village on the ocean with hostel accommodation from Paddy Mac's pub (which has great food and traditional music). If you go check out the Craft Centre and the Cliff Walk. In Kinsale can recommend two great pubs: The White House (great food) and The Mad Monk (traditional music). If you like Irish pottery you can buy direct from the factory in a little town just outside Kinsale called Carrigaline. They'll also ship for you. Have fun.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:46 AM

Chuck, I would recommend looking into either Schull or Baltimore as a stopover on your trip. Both have their own charm and both are harbor towns. I agree with the poster who suggested traveling the coastal route and from Kenmare you could easily visit one or two peninsulas before reaching the above towns. I would suggest doing part of the Beara out to the Healy Pass then proceed south to the Sheepshead and Mizenhead, where Schull is located. Skibbereen is a nice town also but anything past here would put you fairly close to Kinsale and make a stopover less effective. Of course, you certainly should leave some amount of spontaniety in the equation. Lots of good advice on this site so you can't really go wrong. Good Luck PS if you don't have a guidebood to Ireland pick one up and research the areas you want to visit. I've used the Lonely Planet and it has been very accurate and helpful.