More food suggestions for south/southwest Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been hit on so many times, but I'm hoping to get a good summary from many in the forum for good eats. Going Sept. 8-17, staying in Kenmare, Kinsale, Dingle, and Lisdoonvarna. Please give any suggestions for places IN these towns or our expected ATTRACTIONS (Cashel, Cork, Blarney Castle, Beara, Killarney NP, Cliffs of Moher, Inis Oirr, Burren). Note: just for lunch and dinner and moderate to low prices, specific names preferred.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Oops, forgot to mention casual and pubs are fine. Just want a variety, including seafood and authentic.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Not a foodie, but I will do my best.

Doolin, the Lazy Lobster and Cullinan's get good reviews. The seafood chowder at Gus O'Connor's is as fresh as it gets.

Monks in Ballyvaughan gets rave reviews for lunch.

I've eaten at Murphy's in Dingle for casual. I've heard mixed reviews on the Half Door. Pretty pricey.

Kenmare is loaded. Try the Lime Tree for upscale. Packies is nice too. Foley's or O'Donabhain's for casual.

Kinsale is the gourmet capital and I'm not a gourmet. I tend to just wander into a pub in such places and eat waht looks good.

Off the beaten path but perhaps on the way from here to there is Mary Ann's in Castletownshend. I've had a great lunch there and if the have banoffee, try it.

Others are better at this than me. I don't really trusts my tastes. Now if you want to know about beer ....

Bill
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Dingle - Half Door for lunch only. It is pricy. We had creamy garlic mussels with brown bread.

Killarney - Murphy's for a pub dinner & music to follow at about 9:30. L'Artesta for pizza. It's a BYOB. Great change of pace.

Monks for lunch.

Kinsale - Jim Edwards bar & restaurant.

Mary Ann's in Castletownshend.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:42 PM

The Station House in Blennerville, 40 mins from Dingle Town and just outside Tralee. Good restaurant and pub.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:18 PM

I loved Bricín - 26 High Street Killarney;
dinner only, but outstanding food, great wine and a favorite with locals. Upstairs from a craft shop, which has some interesting local items in addition to the usual kitch.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:32 PM

Re: Cork City, the <b>English Market </b>wil give you a great overview of the local area's produce. Try the <b>Farmgate Cafe</b> upstairs, or get some artisanal cheeses at On the Pigs Back or Iago, some great bread, pate and olives, and picnic by the River Lee. For restaurants, the legendary <b>Cafe Paradiso,</b> the <b>Ivory Tower</b> and <b>Proby's Bistro</b> are my choices, depending on mood and budget.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 02:55 AM

The Stonehouse (it has a stone roof!) between Paidi O'She's pub and Slay Head
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:34 AM

We had a great late lunch at Monk's in Ballyvaughn. Also, wonderful Chinese food in Dingle at Tir na Ri (land of kings). Cute story -- the name of the owner means king in chinese, so he found the Irish translation